Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

Hardibacker Cement Board Thickness Issue With Drywall

Hi Everyone,

I've heard that 1/2" Hardibacker thickness doesn't quite compare to 1/2" drywall thickness. And I've not found a good answer as to how to get Hardibacker flush with drywall?

Because of this, I've been considering using 1/2" Durock instead since it would seem to be more flush with 1/2" drywall, ....:

However, in my research I have found that there are many who have complained about Durock Next Gen's cement being of a lower quality product then the original Durock. The complaint is that Durock Next Gen seems to use less cement? In other words, they argue that Durock is saving money as company while consumers receive more of an inferior product by taking the good building material out of the cement board and putting lower quality product into the cement board.

Also, I've heard Durock Next Gen is a bit more flimsy then the original Durock cememnt board. I think they stopped making the original Durock in 2009 (could be wrong)?

Durock Next Gen also seems to not take screws easily and seems to be finicky at the edges.

I'm not how correct the above complaints truly are, but it's made me more prone to want to use Hardibacker.

[Main Question]:

The problem with Hardibacker is it doesn't seem to go flush with 1/2" drywall? If this is true, what are some solutions to this problem?

I am down to the studs. So, I was told that putting 1/2" Hardibacker up to the studs next to 1/2" drywall that is up to the studs would result in a joint that isn't flush? If so, this is a problem. And I'm not sure how to best resolve this.

Anyone have suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by JasonCA; 04-06-2012 at 10:29 PM.
JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

Not sure where your getting this info but I for one have never had it be an issue.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Just use the Durock and you won't need to worry about any possible thickness differences. We prefer Durock for all tile related installation anyways.

As far as screws go = Are you using the correct Durock coated screws?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
In a little over my head

Hardibacker 500 is .42 inches thick. (Maybe this is to allow for the thinset and tile?)
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...halfInch.shtml

I am currently working on a bathroom using 1/2" Permabase. It matches up with 1/2" drywall just fine.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
SuperServiceAwardContract

I'm pretty sure they designed the 1/2" Hardibacker (.42") to have tile on it which need mortar 1/4"x1/4" notch will produce a 1/8" height (.125). So when you typically have 1/2" (.500") drywall plus a light texture 1/16" (.0675) (orange peel or knock down) and have tile butting up to it as if coming out of a shower area, then it is really close to being flush .545 compared to .5675. Less than 1/32" difference. Your welcome.

Yes Pre-drill with the screw, and put the drill motor in reverse and using an orbital motion round out the hole bigger like a countersink bit would, then drive the screw in. I've been doing this for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCA View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've heard that 1/2" Hardibacker (.42") thickness doesn't quite compare to 1/2" drywall thickness. And I've not found a good answer as to how to get Hardibacker flush with drywall?

Because of this, I've been considering using 1/2" Durock instead since it would seem to be more flush with 1/2" drywall, ....:

However, in my research I have found that there are many who have complained about Durock Next Gen's cement being of a lower quality product then the original Durock. The complaint is that Durock Next Gen seems to use less cement? In other words, they argue that Durock is saving money as company while consumers receive more of an inferior product by taking the good building material out of the cement board and putting lower quality product into the cement board.

Also, I've heard Durock Next Gen is a bit more flimsy then the original Durock cememnt board. I think they stopped making the original Durock in 2009 (could be wrong)?

Durock Next Gen also seems to not take screws easily and seems to be finicky at the edges.

I'm not how correct the above complaints truly are, but it's made me more prone to want to use Hardibacker.

[Main Question]:

The problem with Hardibacker is it doesn't seem to go flush with 1/2" drywall? If this is true, what are some solutions to this problem?

I am down to the studs. So, I was told that putting 1/2" Hardibacker up to the studs next to 1/2" drywall that is up to the studs would result in a joint that isn't flush? If so, this is a problem. And I'm not sure how to best resolve this.

Anyone have suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by CraftsmanConnec; 02-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.
CraftsmanConnec is offline   Reply With Quote