Hanging Sheetrock Over Tile - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Likes to Flip Houses

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging Sheetrock Over Tile

I know that this is not something that should be done, but in this case it would make my life a lot simpler. The reason I want to do this, is because the house that I am flipping was built in the late 1940's. When the tile was installed, it was put on with concrete and some form of chicken wire. It took two solid hits from a sledge to even put a small whole in the tile. Tile and concrete eqaul to about 2" thick. It will not just come off by trying to pry or hammer. The bathrooms are very small so I can't waste to much space. So I thought maybe I could use some form of glue or adhesive on the tile part and put some 1 bye's on the upper part that is sheetroock to make it all even and hang 1/4in sheetrock to make new walls. I can't find anything to help me with this. Is this even possible or am I way out of line. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Advertisement

cbug21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

How high does the tile come up on the wall? Maybe try waiscoting instead?

Advertisement

Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You're way out of line. Do it right. If you don't have the knowledge or tools to do it right then hire somebody who does. You are going to try to sell the finished product to somebody and expect to get top dollar possible right? How would you feel if someone did half ass work in a house you purchased that was "recently remodeled"? I bet you would be pretty upset, huh?
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Likes to Flip Houses

The tile goes up about 4', I had thought about the waiscott, but thought it might not look that good. Thank you.

As for the person that thinks I am going to half ASS the job, I plan to do it right and not half ASS it. This is why I was wanting some feedback. I can do what ever it takes and I do not want to sell something that is half ass. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone, so my name will be assosiated with this house.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

we just finished gutting a bathroom in my gfs house that had this same setup with the tile

The best way I found to get the tile down was to find a stud and then drive a flatbar down parallel with the stud behind the tile and wire and then pull back as hard as you can and the tile and wire will come down
ultimatesooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

When you start out with:

Quote:
I know that this is not something that should be done, but in this case it would make my life a lot simpler.
Then you should expect replies like this:

Quote:
You're way out of line. Do it right. If you don't have the knowledge or tools to do it right then hire somebody who does. You are going to try to sell the finished product to somebody and expect to get top dollar possible right? How would you feel if someone did half ass work in a house you purchased that was "recently remodeled"? I bet you would be pretty upset, huh?
As for this comment:

Quote:
As for the person that thinks I am going to half ASS the job, I plan to do it right and not half ASS it. This is why I was wanting some feedback. I can do what ever it takes and I do not want to sell something that is half ass. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone, so my name will be assosiated with this house.
Then start your demo and quit looking for a cheap easy fix. There's no such thing. There's do it right or half ass it. If you plan to do it right then why post a question stating "I know this is something that should not be done but..." You already knew the answer so why waste the time to post the question? If you can do whatever it takes then you have no need to post any more questions regarding this particular subject so go get to work and quit pondering ways to half ass it.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've seen such work done
And I'd hope to never buy a house that someone took such an obvious shortcut
Do it right as said & Demo the tile instead of passing the problem onto the next person who will then have 2x the work to do to make it right
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

I wouldn't even entertain the thought......
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Likes to Flip Houses

I have gone ahead and found a cement saw and cut the tile and concrete came out in big chunks which made lefe a lot easier. Thanks for your comments. I told you that I would do it right.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

You'll be glad you did. I remember tearing out the same thing in my parents' house when I was maybe 16 or 17. It was just a matter of "beating it into submission" then. Your method would have been much easier....
Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

I had to do 2 ceilings at my parents house w/that stuff - not fun
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbug21 View Post
I have gone ahead and found a cement saw and cut the tile and concrete came out in big chunks which made lefe a lot easier. Thanks for your comments. I told you that I would do it right.

I read this thread right after you started it, and all I could do was shake my head. I couldn't come up with anything to say that wasn't negative, so I just didn't post anything. Thank you for taking the right approach and ripping it down to the studs.

After buying a home that was subjected to every half-baked cost saving approach possible, I am less than forgiving of those who even contemplate cutting corners. It's awesome that you dealt with this the way that you did. I honestly figured that you'd go ahead and hang sheetrock over the tile after being bashed a bit for the idea, and just never come back and post about it. There are some situations where I actually enjoy being proven wrong, and this is definitely one of them. Good job!

Advertisement

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote