Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hanging partition walls from floor joist

I am in the middle of a basement remodel. The time has come for me to frame around my HVAC, just before i started I had the thought of suspending a partition wall from my floor joist using I-bolts and hooks at the top and something at the bottom the keeps it tight at floor level. I figure this will give me another few feet of usable space all the way around. When i need to access the HVAC i can simply lift the panels off the bolts, have a go and then put the panels back when i am done. i figure i would use 2x3 or even metal studs for the frame and 1/4 drywall. So my question is has any body ever does this and if so how did it turn out? I have not checked with the local codes or building inspectors yet, i am still in the idea phase. BTW I do have a gas furnace and water heater don't know if that matters. Thanks in advance. Pat

Mobeer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #2

Those heaters need a source of combustion air, so make sure they are not closely walled in. Making moveable walls sounds easier than it is. Consider the weight of drywall, about 68lbs/sheet, plus the framing, and you could have a heavy wall. And there are codes about blocking heater access with walls, as well as clearance restrictions.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
STAFF

Rewards Points: 24

The codes and other things I will leave to the HVAC fellows as I don't qualify. As for 1/4 inch sheetrock for a movable wall, it will not hold up, use 1/4 inch plywood instead, or something of that nature.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

I was under the understanding that the walls should have 5/8" firecode sheetrock on the ceilings and walls.
I don't understand the need for moveable walls. You size the door into the room so whatever is in there can be replaced as needed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framing, partition, wall