Hanging New Interior Doors - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Hanging new interior doors


I just got a good deal on solid wood prehung doors to replace the existing doors in my house...but when I went to put them in I realized that 4 1/2 inch width jambs were 1/2 inch too small for the existing space in my wall. What do I do? Return the doors & special order, or is there a more cost efficent solution to my problem?

Advertisement

DarenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 886
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hanging new interior doors


Is it safe to assume the new doors units are split jamb?

Measure twice cut once goes for door jambs also. Measure all of them.

Cost effective solution? take them back if you can.

Lot's of shimming, double nailing, milling Stop extender lumber, plumb & leveling.
It can be done, but it will take 10 times longer even with the right tools and skill level.

How did you end up with 5 inch interior walls? Sounds like they double rocked one wall.

Maybe to cover 4 layers of wall paper?

Advertisement


Last edited by Big Bob; 08-29-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hanging new interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenC View Post
I just got a good deal on solid wood prehung doors to replace the existing doors in my house...but when I went to put them in I realized that 4 1/2 inch width jambs were 1/2 inch too small for the existing space in my wall. What do I do? Return the doors & special order, or is there a more cost efficent solution to my problem?
Create 1/2" extension jambs with the correct wood stock and a table saw. Use wood shims to properly align the ext. jambs and attach with a brad nailer or 18g stapler. Then install your casing.
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
remodeling pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hanging new interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
Is it safe to assume the new doors units are split jamb?

Measure twice cut once goes for door jambs also. Measure all of them.

Cost effective solution? take them back if you can.

Lot's of shimming, double nailing, milling Stop extender lumber, plumb & leveling.
It can be done, but it will take 10 times longer even with the right tools and skill level.

How did you end up with 5 inch interior walls? Sounds like they double rocked one wall.

Maybe to cover 4 layers of wall paper?
Please tell me it is not so...heavy solid doors available with split jambs
Yea, either a rock over or old plaster walls IMO also.
Like most "great deals" in the end they cost more than the correct item. Sure , you can extend the jambs, but they will always look exactly like an add on. I'm with BigBob, get the correct jambs to begin with and make your life easier.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hanging new interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Please tell me it is not so...heavy solid doors available with split jambs
Yea, either a rock over or old plaster walls IMO also.
Like most "great deals" in the end they cost more than the correct item. Sure , you can extend the jambs, but they will always look exactly like an add on. I'm with BigBob, get the correct jambs to begin with and make your life easier.
Troubleseeker, The poster got a "good deal" on the doors, and remember that they also asked for a "cost efficient" way to alter the door jambs....

So they are looking for a ''low-budget'', DIY-level, solution ....
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hanging a Heavy Mirror frapha1 General DIY Discussions 6 01-03-2010 12:21 PM
Help hanging heavy punching bag from ceiling chrisski1991 Building & Construction 5 03-15-2007 08:46 PM
Hanging a beam/rafter from a beam snmhanson Building & Construction 4 01-11-2007 11:37 PM
Hanging towel bar in hollow core door. ERIK2173 Remodeling 1 02-06-2006 08:19 PM
Hanging a Wallpaper Border Nathan Painting 10 06-17-2005 02:19 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts