Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Halfwall with drywall...

Hi all

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated on how to finish off this wall.

Have ahalfwall there was never finished or the room for that matter.
Like the openness between the two rooms, however the playroom is a little of an eyesoar right now and I want to draw focus on trim work moulding and possibly add a middle section to the halfwall. Probably will expand halfwall out and add cubbie holes on the back side for storage.

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/m...revrseside.jpg

Last edited by mb88; 01-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.
mb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,146

Halfwall with drywall...

Ok so what's the question?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Halfwall with drywall...

Good point...question.

I guess my other post is more the beginning...how do i finish off the entryway....what type of wood do I buy to put up on the inside of the entryway...what thickness....been to the bigbox stoors and only see 1/2 inch or inch thick door jamb wood...kind of thought they would sell thinner wood....but again, what the heck do I know.

How do you finish this off?
What type of wood?
Do I need a router?

I want to start working on finishing the drywall entryways, then the halfwall, the crown moulding.
I want to do this myself and not bother my husband.
I've framed our basement in the other house, tiled kitchen/bath floors/walls.... and just paid someone a crap load of money to do built-ins with surrounds for the fireplace! I know I could of done the job for a fraction of what I paid....and most importantly, I get satisfaction out of doing things myself.
I just need to know how to start.

Thanks

Last edited by mb88; 01-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Halfwall with drywall...

Take pictures to a trim shop or a lumberyard or Lowes and see what they suggest based on what they have.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Halfwall with drywall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman
Take pictures to a trim shop or a lumberyard or Lowes and see what they suggest based on what they have.
On my way there with b4 and after stuff that I saw on this site along with pic of my entryway. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to mb88 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,146

Halfwall with drywall...

Almost anything your going to need will be stock molding sold in any Lowes or HD. Go buy some samples about 12" long and play with them. There is hundreds of combinations that can be done with off the shelve molding. There is no right or wrong or what everyone else is doing. If it looks good to you then that's what's right.
I hate to see openings in walls with out some form of shelve on the bottom and unrounded corners on the top. An arch, or bow looks much better. When I build one from scratch I used rounded sheetrock corners not metal 90 deg. corners. It softens the whole look.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Halfwall with drywall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Almost anything your going to need will be stock molding sold in any Lowes or HD. Go buy some samples about 12" long and play with them. There is hundreds of combinations that can be done with off the shelve molding. There is no right or wrong or what everyone else is doing. If it looks good to you then that's what's right.
I hate to see openings in walls with out some form of shelve on the bottom and unrounded corners on the top. An arch, or bow looks much better. When I build one from scratch I used rounded sheetrock corners not metal 90 deg. corners. It softens the whole look.
Except it may look odd only having rounded sheetrock corners on one doorway but not on any others.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote