Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |

Gutting a bedroom/s - Am I nuts?

I live in a 3 story condo building on the second floor. The new neighbors upstairs are exceptionally noisy, mostly walking around on their heels so hard our light fixtures shake. I've brought it up a few times, but nothing ever changes. I have a bit of experience in recording studio design, so I have been tempted to gut both bedrooms, and install roxul, then a resilient channel and then rehang the drywall. Currently, there is no insulation between the floors, or any cork under the wood floors. I could easily handle the demo, insulation and installation of the resilient channel. I would probably hire someone to haul the drywall up the stairs, hang it and tape. The one bedroom is very square, about 180-200 square feet, and the second one is slightly more complex, but about 200-225 square feet.

My questions are:

Would it really be worth it?
What would my estimated cost be for labor? (I've calculated materials)
Any other methods that would be more effective?
Am I nuts?

davehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Your not nuts and it sounds like a good plan. One of the hundred or so reasons to never buy a muliti family dweling.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your not nuts and it sounds like a good plan. One of the hundred or so reasons to never buy a muliti family dweling.
To be fair, the people that lived up there for the first two years must of floated around an inch off the ground because I never heard them once.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Was there flooring changed?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Was there flooring changed?
Nope, just the neighbors. The difference between someone that shuffles when they walk, and someone that walks directly on their heels. The place is a good investment though, and I see a project adding a lot of value when it comes time to sell. I would definitely document it and take pictures and use it as a selling point..
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #6

I hope it all works out for you I know around here you could not give away a condo.
It's always best to go back and add your location in your profile for better ansewers.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
I hope it all works out for you I know around here you could not give away a condo.
It's always best to go back and add your location in your profile for better ansewers.
Good call, around here, there is still a good market for condos, and we got in after the crash.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #8

Check with your condo association and building dept., as there may be restrictions and fire separation rules/laws you are unaware of...Get a permit if only for the paper trail for H.O. Insurance carrier.

Gary
AtlanticWBConst. (04-03-2012), creeper (04-03-2012), kj6887 (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #9

When you figured your material cost did you figure 5/8 gyp. I am sure that will be required for fire, also have you looked into any of the sound deadening drywall? I have heard some good things about it, but as stated above have a paper trail.
kj6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

I did factor in 5/8 drywall, the whole unit is 5/8". The condo association isn't an issue, and permits are not needed for drywall. (in chicago at least).

In most studio builds I would use normal 5/8" and in critical applications, two layers with green glue in between. We never used the resilient channel on the ceiling however, since we were always building a room within a room. Would it be acceptable to hang drywall on the ceiling using the resilient channel? The mechanical decoupling is critical and would have the largest impact on sound proofing.