DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Greetings from San Clemente Ca: Access Door Install in Skylight Shaft?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kwikfishron 
#1 ·
Access Door in Vertical Skylight Shaft?

Hi all,
I'm about 2/3s of the way through a total renovation (down to studs, total interior space change complete new roof, and a couple hundred sqft added). Wish I had found this site a few months ago. With the new roof line, I now have a fairly large attic. The access is by design where it has to be for furnace servicing, when ducting was installed, it obstructed (unless crawling on stomach) the roughly 250sqft of standup storage. My wife doesn't want an access door in a bedroom, or den/kitchen area which is where the access would be best placed.
In searching for a non-intrusive location and while staring at the skylight and yet to be finished shaft which goes up through almost the highest part of the roof and in the perfect location for attic access. The light came on, and I thought...perhaps a vertical access through one wall of the skylight shaft...I could put a roughly 2'w 4' h door in flush with the drywall. Question is: Has anyone ever heard of, seen or done an installation like this?

I'm about 2/3s of the way through a total renovation (down to studs, total interior space change complete new roof, and a couple hundred sqft added). Wish I had found this site a few months ago. With the new roof line, I now have a fairly large attic. The access is by design where it has to be for furnace servicing, when ducting was installed, it obstructed (unless crawling on stomach) the roughly 250sqft of standup storage. My wife doesn't want an access door in a bedroom, or den/kitchen area which is where the access would be best placed.
In searching for a non-intrusive location and while staring at the skylight and yet to be finished shaft which goes up through almost the highest part of the roof and in the perfect location for attic access. The light came on, and I thought...perhaps a vertical access through one wall of the skylight shaft...I could put a roughly 2'w 4' h door in flush with the drywall. Question is: Has anyone ever heard of, seen or done an installation like this?

Thanks...the required furnace accessability, original access point works perfectly. My plan is to add a second door/access point to the skylight shaft so I can access the rest of the attic.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.