DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Green board, blue board, backer board???

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mop in Hand 
#1 ·
Can some of you pros out there give me some insight on how to prep shower walls to be tiled? I always read that a cement backer board is the way to go. But yet every time I walk into a new home under construction by a variety of builders, they are using green board or blue board under the tile. What is the deal??? I am in Maryland.

#2 ·
Can some of you pros out there give me some insight on how to prep shower walls to be tiled? I always read that a cement backer board is the way to go. But yet every time I walk into a new home under construction by a variety of builders, they are using green board or blue board under the tile. What is the deal??? I am in Maryland.
Cementious backer board; Durock, Hardibacker, etc., with joints taped as per manufacturer instructions for the product.

Although gypsum based products are used behind solid materials such as cultured marble, they only lead to future disaster when used to back tile in a wet area such as a shower stall or tub/shower. They can be safely used to back tile in areas such as bathroom walls (non wet areas) , kitchen back splashes, or even wainscoting around garden or soaking tubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.