Granite In Minneapolis Area??? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Granite in Minneapolis area???

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a discount place that sells slab granite? I am overwhelmed with all of the granite places out there and I am really just looking for an inexpensive place to order from.
Thanks for any tips.

Advertisement

simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiesue View Post
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a discount place that sells slab granite? I am overwhelmed with all of the granite places out there and I am really just looking for an inexpensive place to order from.
Thanks for any tips.
The cost of a granite counter top isn't just predicated on the slab price, unless you'll be fabricating it or want a really big island.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I was looking for maybe a remnant piece of granite that can work in my kitchen. Not sure if regular granite showrooms carry remnants or is there a special place to shop for it.
simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiesue View Post
I was looking for maybe a remnant piece of granite that can work in my kitchen. Not sure if regular granite showrooms carry remnants or is there a special place to shop for it.
Fabricators cut the granite up and profile the edges. All fabricators have various sized pieces left over you can check out.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

simiesue" Depending on what you are calling a "remnant piece" of granite and what size--you might be able to find what you want at a local cabinet shop or a monument place. I have obtained, FREE of charge, pieces that were cut out for sinks. The shops around here have to throw them away as they have no use for them. I have a granite cutting board in the kitchen, a granite piece in my shop I use as a make shift "surface plate" and as a flat surface to sharpen my wood chisels and hand plane blades on. You can't be too choosy as to pattern or color with these, but they work. The edges are not really smooth, but dress out nice with certain grinding disc.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

I haven't been there in awhile, but the last time I was there the ReUse center at Lake and Hiawatha had a decent selection of big pieces.

Building Materials Outlet in Eagan.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 25

If you can't find the slab you need, the granite company I use for fabrication and installation is Granite Tops.
http://www.granite-tops.com/
They charge for the actual square footage, not the entire slab (for most types of granite).

Jason Myrlie
www.jcarstenhomes.com
JCarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 42

be sure to choose your granite installer carefully. A good price now can cost you in the long run. Not saying this guy went cheap, just saying you don't want a similiar experience. Is this a lousy granite installation?

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote