Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Granite Bullnosing/polishing

I have bought granite tiles (3/8"x12"x12") for a countertop re-facing. They didn't sell them with a bullnose so I bought extra in anticipation of either having them cut, bullnosed, & polished by a stone company or doing it DIY style.

If I go DIY, does anyone have a website or know-how in doing this? I am quite capable with tools and have access to a wide variety of them. I'm just curious what some of you "vets" might suggest...Thanks,

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Bullnosed, & polished can run between $7 to $14 a linear foot. To make it yourself the tools will probably run you more than having it done but itís not that hard to do after you get the hang of it.
Or you could look at trims that will let you use stone and not have to bullnose.
http://www.schluter.com/media/WallCountertop-ENG.pdf

mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

If you have a wet saw you can buy a profiling wheel and make your own bullnose easy enough butt the profilers won't polish the edge after it tools it. Then...you need some sanding discs and a grinder and the attachments. Then you usually need some buffing equipment and some rouges.

The problem with making your own granite bullnose for a counter top is the bullnose edge of a counter top is very visual. You can't get away with a mediocre job like you could if you were using it anywhere but on a counter top.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

I likely have the tools, just not the applicators (sand paper of sorts?)...

I also have an already installed marble top that needs a bullnose and polish. It was a salvage from a demo home and the previous "wall edge" is now exposed.

Thanks for the link!!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
If you have a wet saw you can buy a profiling wheel and make your own bullnose easy enough butt the profilers won't polish the edge after it tools it. Then...you need some sanding discs and a grinder and the attachments. Then you usually need some buffing equipment and some rouges.

The problem with making your own granite bullnose for a counter top is the bullnose edge of a counter top is very visual. You can't get away with a mediocre job like you could if you were using it anywhere but on a counter top.
We posted at the same time, so I'm just seeing this now. I went youtube hunting and this seems to sum up all that I found: http://youtu.be/Ak6XnQCRy1E

I'm thinking I can do a good job, I've done great with wood in the past. Only one way to find out for sure is to grab the wheel and try out one edge. Is the sanding paper they speak of a special kind?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Is the sanding paper they speak of a special kind?
Silicone carbide (wet/dry) is typically the best. Garden variety aluminum oxide won't take the punishment or offer any life being used wet.

Here's one source I use. They also offer some "How-To" information in some areas.

http://www.tiletools.com

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (09-23-2011)