Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Share |

Good surround adhesive and removing old caulk

Ok so when my tub and surround we're installed a few years ago I'm sure there were a few mistakes. I am getting some leaking between the surround and the lip of the tub on the edge.. On further inspection I realized two things... First the pipe coming out that the faucet attaches isn't caulked well.. Has a weep hole water might be getting through. Also the walls are loose back and forth.. Meaning they didn't completely adhere to the studs with the construction adhesive I used. So my two questions as I'll either be getting a new surround and starting over or re using my surround now.
1. What is a good FAST setting adhesive for the back of the surround to glue to the studs? I will be doing this myself so I was thinking Lotite power grab for tubs and surrounds or general construction (need something that sets fast and holds in place).. Is this good stuff?

2. How do I get rid of the old caulk around the tub and surround so I can re caulk it?

Thanks.

sh40674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Makes no since to me.
There's two types of surrounds. One gets glued to the sheet rock using adhesive.
The other far thicker style is attached directly to the studs with roofing mails with nothing behind it.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

It will get nailed and glued to make sure it's sturdy and i don't get flex near where I'm caulking that would crack the caulk.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

It's a cheaper surround. I'll probably end up with plywood or thin drywall behind it. Kinda one of those things you need to see it in person to understand. Just need to know if that Lotite power grab is good stuff. Need something that holds almost instantly. Any tricks for getting the old caulk off easily?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

I should say it like this... The surround where it meets the tub has some play in it 1/8" to max of 1/4 on the long side) so I think this cracked the caulk over time. When I re do the surround I want to glue behind it somehow to eliminate the play and make it sturdy, hence not cracking the caulk. Also another question.. How do you seal around the faucet? It screws on to the pipe can I just caulk around that as well?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

There is a new surround at Home Depot that glues directly to the studs and requires screws at the top flange. I used an adhesive in a caulking tube that specifically says it is for tub surrounds. It was in the paint department at Home Depot. If you use any other type of adhesive it's possible it will melt or warp the surround. If you have caulk to remove they sell Motsenbocker's Lift Off foam and caulk remover for about $8 a spray pump bottle. You apply it and let it sit a couple of hours. It worked great for tub caulk.

The adhesive:

Caulk Remover:

One thing with tub surrounds that apply direct to the naked stud: The framing must be square and the one I installed needs studs 16" on center. Mine were 20" so I had to beef up the framing. If the framing is not square it will leak.

So yeah I liked the Power Grab. I used three tubes for one surround. It is supposed to dry for 24 hours. I rigged a bunch of scrap 2x4's to hold the walls tight while it dried. When you caulk around the spigot try to outline it with blue painter's tape to get a neat circle of caulk.

Last edited by Arlo; 12-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Sounds like the surround I currently have.. I am thinking of putting a thin sheet of plywood behind it nailed to the studs to get more contact and gluing area