Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Good place to buy cabinets

I'm looking for decent cabinets. I looked at the Lowes in stock cabinets. I know these are particle board veneer cabinets. The prices were something like:

24x30 = $111
30x30 = $130

Sink base $230
etc.

I haven't talked to them about special order cabinets, but I was wondering if someone can give me some ball park figures and where to buy.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Most in-stock cabinets at home improvement stores are generally junk. They may be okay in a low use area like a laundry room, but I wouldn't consider them for a kitchen. You are going to be paying around $120-150 per lineal foot to get into a decent basic cabinet - more if you want to go higher end.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I'm looking for decent cabinets. I looked at the Lowes in stock cabinets. I know these are particle board veneer cabinets. The prices were something like:

24x30 = $111
30x30 = $130

Sink base $230
etc.

I haven't talked to them about special order cabinets, but I was wondering if someone can give me some ball park figures and where to buy.

I can give you an idea but need to know:
1) species of wood
2) door type...raise or flat
3) overall style...country, traditional, contemporary
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I can give you an idea but need to know:
1) species of wood
2) door type...raise or flat
3) overall style...country, traditional, contemporary
I'm not certain about the species of wood. I'm looking for a lighter cabinets. I'm looking for raised panel doors. Traditional or contemporary is my preference. I'm looking for just rough estimates at this point to see if it is a project I want to tackle.

Last edited by bluefitness; 01-15-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
30x30 = $130
A square cabinet???
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
A square cabinet???
Yes, it is a 30x30 with two doors.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I'm sorry, I should have asked all the questions first.

Is it some kind of corner unit? Can you explain where the doors are and how it butts against anything (another cabinet, a wall)?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Fixer of all things Broke

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to LaHandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn1 View Post
Most in-stock cabinets at home improvement stores are generally junk....
Stubborn1 I am not sure were you are but here in Louisiana we have a Surplus Warehouse that sells all plywood constructioned cabinets made of oak with raised panel doors. I have installed quite a few of theses and they are way better made than the ones Lowe's and Home Depot sells.
LaHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #9

Check out IKEA, if you have one near you. Knock down construction with many stock sizes and front panel options, as well as a european style hanging and leveling system. www.ikea.com
tommy potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaHandyman View Post
Stubborn1 I am not sure were you are but here in Louisiana we have a Surplus Warehouse that sells all plywood constructioned cabinets made of oak with raised panel doors. I have installed quite a few of theses and they are way better made than the ones Lowe's and Home Depot sells.

I guess I was referring to the Home Depot, Menards, Lowes etc. big box hardware stores that stock the particle board cabinets that are assembled with a handful of staples and plastic drawer glides. I'm sure you can find decent stock cabinets at some places, but it's not often.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

The bottom line is that the off-the-shelf box store cabinets are junk, but they're priced accordingly. For two or even three (or more...the sky's the limit) times as much you can get custom cabinets made the way you want them out of quaility materials with quality joinery and good hardware.

You should get a couple bids from cabinet shops in your area just so you know. Ordering "custom" cabinets through a box store is a waste of money. Go straight to the supplier and cut out the know-nothing middleman!!! It'll save you money. Cabinet shops will be happy to deal directly with you, especially in this current market.

Don't forget...
The quality of the cabinets that you put in a kitchen or bath directly affects the added value of the remodel or addition. Any additional investment you make on the cabinets will be recuperated in a sale down the road. Bathrooms and kitchens sell homes, and most people can spot cheap cabinets right off.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #12

Decent, 1/2" plywood carcasses with wood,raised paneled doors will run about 275-300 a cabinet on average. Panrty cabinets, about $1200-1500. Add 20-40% for the moldings and accessories, depending on size. The last Kraftmaid kitchen I ordered ran $13,700. That was for one pantry cabinet, 7 base cabinets and 8 wall cabinets.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

I just went througha kitchen remodel and researched this quit a bit. There are numerouse companies making cabinets. Many (like Kraftmaid) offer different levels from cheap particle board to all hardwood/plywood contruction. It seemed like they all sold very equivelent cabinets (and equivelent pricing) when you started looking at the top line stuff. If you want it to look good you do not want to go with the off the shelf stuff. If you are just building a basic kitchen true "custom" cabinets my not be worth the extra expense. You should also consider paying for installation since the cost to install is relatively low compared to cost of nice cabinetry. I guess it all depends on what you currently have. Even the low end was far nicer than what was in my kitchen. I could have easily gotten away with the low end kraftaid stuff at home depot. I went with Bertch cabinets from a small kitchen outfit in my town.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #14

I don't understand this statement by Beerdog:
"I could have easily gotten away with the low end kraftaid stuff at home depot. "
Any of the Home Depot's can order any of the Kraftmaid lines as well as any other cabinet line it carries. The same goes with any of the big box stores. The only line of cabinetry Home Depot have on hand is the Mills Pride brand.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
DIY Rookie

Send a message via AIM to jpfreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes View Post
Check out IKEA, if you have one near you. Knock down construction with many stock sizes and front panel options, as well as a european style hanging and leveling system. www.ikea.com
I was shocked at the quality of the ikea cabinets I saw at the store. My wife and I went to Pittsburgh to go to the Ikea there expecting to see cheap cabinets that LOOKED cheap and lacked any sort of quality. I have to admit, everything I have heard about Idea has been wrong. I am not sayign everythign they sell is quality but they do offer a couple lines of cabinets that I am very interested in using for my kitchen and laundry room. I woudl not count them out untill you see them in person

jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote