Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #1

Share |

Glass Shower

Need help please!

I was going to install the glass shower door but noticed that a dumb mistake was made. Instead of drywalling on top of the shower base, I drywalled on the outside of the base. This has resulted in the walls being too far apart for the glass door.

The glass door calls for a maximum distance of 58.5" apart while the space I have is 60".

Anybody have any recommendations to fix this problem without knocking down the walls and tiles? We were thinking of a 3/4" black plastic filler on each side but don't know where we could get a 1" wide x 3/4" thick plastic. As well, I'm not too sure of the stability this would provide.

Are there 60" glass doors I could get instead?

Here is the information on the door I have now: http://www.ovedecors.com/media/pdf/document_112_147.pdf

Horrible mistake but I hope someone can help. Thanks!

mastersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Glass Shower

Those darn French!

Beautiful door. Could you find new side rails locally? I know we have a local custom glass shop that does shower doors. Not sure if the make their own side rails there but they could probably point you to someone who could.

Contact the manufacturer? I'm sure your not the first or the last. They may already have some good ideas.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3

Glass Shower

Call me confused but there should never have been drywall in a wet area.
What's covering the walls in the shower area? Tile, plactic enclosure?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Glass Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Those darn French!

Beautiful door. Could you find new side rails locally? I know we have a local custom glass shop that does shower doors. Not sure if the make their own side rails there but they could probably point you to someone who could.

Contact the manufacturer? I'm sure your not the first or the last. They may already have some good ideas.
Thanks for the reply! I will give those a try. Hopefully there's a way.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Glass Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Call me confused but there should never have been drywall in a wet area.
What's covering the walls in the shower area? Tile, plactic enclosure?
Hi Joe,

The drywall is covered by the tile. We made the mistake of building the drywall around the base instead of on top of it.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Glass Shower

i am confused also. we would like to see pics. from what i can gather so far, sounds like you did it wrong, and will be redoing it soon. and i am not talking about the door.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Stay-at-home GC

Glass Shower

Could be, I didn't catch that at first. Even if he used green board, if he framed for the drywall to fit behind the shower pan lip its going to be a nightmare to waterproof.

Can we see a drawing of your drywall, framing, tile in relation to your shower pan lip?

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

Glass Shower

I'd also like to see pics, cause I'm doing this myself soon lol
Toilet Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

Glass Shower

From the sounds of it, the drywall might be a bigger mistake than it's placement. I hope you show a picture of what you have.

As for your original predicament, I had a problem with one of my shower walls being 1/4" out of whack. The glass folks that did my door ordered an I-beam like item that was cut to account for the whackiness. The shower door installed to that. I've had it two months now and no problems at all.

I'd say call your local glass shops and see if they have something like that.

Tim
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
Renovations contractor

Glass Shower

To answer the original question; you can get custom glass screen and door combos made to whatever size you need by any reputable glass shower installer. However that will be in a very different price point compared to the Ove shower door (we installed one of those 2weeks ago). As others have mentioned the bigger problem is if you used regular drywall as the tile backer in your shower. That's a big moldy mess waiting to happen. Minimum code is Aqua board / Green board, but a better option is Dens-shield or Hardi-backer. Some use the standard cement board which I personally detest. With the Hardi-backer for example, I would then recommend Red Guard or Mapei's equivalent waterproofing roll on membrane before you tile. This is not required here for minimum code, but that's an example of where minimum code in my opinion is not good enough.

Anything you do from this point on without first making the basics right would just be adding to the problem ... Basically you are best in the long run starting over in my opinion.

Grout is not waterproof and very few (ie. nobody) reseals their grout every couple of years so moisture will penetrate through to the drywall, cause mold and tiles to become loose ... Or worse stilly, slowly rot the studs.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote