Glass Block Window Position?? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Glass block window position??

I 'want' to put a glass block window ,high, over the tub shower tile,in bathroom wall to allow some light into the room. Tub occupys entire outside wall!!. I have never done glass block before,,,I was quite surprised that they are but 3 1/4 " thick in my 5" plus walls. Overall it measures 32 wide and 14 tall.

I found this window comes together with a vent pocket in middle. Would be good,so THEN I dont have to put a vent fan in whichh are a constant pain!! Are these GOOD long term windows?? How do you mount them in a wood wall?? AND where does it properly sit in that 5 inch wall,,, PLUS depth of tile yet, and outside siding(new vinyl to be installed??)Out far enough to j trim it and butt the siding up to it?? IF thats so,,,how do I handle inside where I dont want water splash to set,,,was thinking of cutting a 45 slant to tile edge and MAKE water run away from it??

WHY in the world dont they make 6" thick glass block so it can be setting outside,,, outside and inside finished walls?? Thanks for any education offered,,,I sure do NEED it!!-d-

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Ok "SKIP" all the rest of the questions and observations,,,PLEASE???

tell me how this block window gets secured in the opening?? Mastic glued in,,,only?? OR does it require molding around, on both sides, to secure it NOT moving side to side??( RO 14 high 32 wide.)

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

First check out Pittsburg cornings website.
raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

How did it go? I'm about to try to put in a glass block window in where the 100 year old window was (but was studded in with a smaller window sometime in the last 40 years). I printed the corning article and another DIY. I THINK the only problem I will have is getting the glass block flush with the tile. Outside I'll have a sill (shelf, actually), but I want it totally flush with the tile.
skits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

You could have your glass block ordered installed in a vinyl frame. or you could make your own. or you can try this site. this is where I go to get my glass block from. good luck. BOB http://www.glassblockwarehouse.net/p6.html

Last edited by buletbob; 09-28-2008 at 07:34 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote