Getting Rid Of 'liquid Nails' On Brick - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
l1r

Rewards Points: 25

Getting rid of 'liquid nails' on brick

The house I bought has one section of brick wall that previous owner (jack) was planning to drywall. So he/she glued 2x1 planks directly on to the brick with, what looks like, liquid nails. Brick surface is pretty rough.

I like the brick part of that wall, so I pulled of those planks yesterday and they left a nasty track of where liquid nails was applied. Is there any solution to remove it? I tried chiseling it off - no luck. I guess I can get a smaller chisel and spend a day or two scraping it off, but is there anything that would clean that glue off, or soften it enough to remove?
Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

l1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

maybe Naptha, laq thinner, If mineral spirits will work then that is by far the safest. Much less nasty fumes and less BOOM V E N T I L A T E THE HECK OUTTA THE ROOM

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Try heat. Thats what I ended up doing when I pulled up some masonite floor underlayment in my parent's house and the glued down sections would just rip off the rest of the masonite and didn't want to scrape off.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Try "Goof Off". You can get it at any hardware store. It will most likely not REMOVE it, but rather soften it up so you can scrape it off.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
l1r

Will goof off or any other chemical product discolor brick in any way? I was about to buy it at Lowes yesterday and the guy told it might do some discoloration.
Also, consider that glue has been on the wall for many years, so it's completely dry and stone hard.
I'll try heat and Goof Off today in the 'not-so-visible' area tonight and let you know how it worked.
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
l1r

Goof off - no-worky. Heat - liquid nails burns, but slowly and not too cleanly... Maybe I'll get most of it with burning and cover the rest with shelves...

Advertisement