Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Share |

getting more ceiling height garadge

anyone ever raise a garadge roof inorder to gain 1 or 2 foot higher ceilings?? id like to jack up the existing roof structure and add a 2 foot wall to existing walls then reattach the existing roof . im thinking remove the sidding that butts to the overhang and then start prying joists from top plate slowely cutting cut nails with a sawsall etc ,or is this crazy dangerous? i like to think big sometimes to big.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

A few questions:
  • How high is the ceiling now?
  • What is the goal or reason for wanting another couple feet of headroom?
  • Is it trusses or stick built?
  • What is the roofing material?
  • What are the dimensions of the garage?

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Remodeling Pro

It's crazy dangerous(to start cutting the joists loose with roof weight on the wall). Depending on how the roof is framed there could be roof load pushing outward on the wall.

This job should be attacked by a pro.

Last edited by orson; 05-08-2009 at 12:12 AM.
orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Oldie but Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
anyone ever raise a garadge roof inorder to gain 1 or 2 foot higher ceilings?? id like to jack up the existing roof structure and add a 2 foot wall to existing walls then reattach the existing roof . im thinking remove the sidding that butts to the overhang and then start prying joists from top plate slowely cutting cut nails with a sawsall etc ,or is this crazy dangerous? i like to think big sometimes to big.
It can be done, but you've got to know what you're doing. I once knew a guy in Cheyenne, Wyoming, who hired a crane to lift the roof off his garage while he framed in a second story, and then the crane put the lid back on. It was all orchestrated so it could be done in a day. Pretty clever, but not without risk.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #5

For you, it would be safer to just disassemble the roof, raise the walls and them reinstall the rafters, sheathing and put on a new roof.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I'd raise the roof,+ Walls,.. seperating them at the bottom of the sill plate...
Jack the whole thing up,+ build knee walls under it...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

How big is the garage/roof?
One car, two car?
Where are you located?
Snow load?

Might be less expensive & much less work to simply build a shed off the back/side of the garage for more storage
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #8

"start prying joists" ....... Don't do it. Those are rafters and ceiling joists, they have outward thrust. If you were able to, you still would not have any horizontal strength, as the walls would hinge at the new junction. If you live in a high wind or seismic zone, it could be bad. Get a permit. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Much easier to build on the side or back depending upon which way the roof slopes. Build on the side or the back. Yoiu could go as low as you want - but I'd keep the outer wall at least 4' tall

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
A few questions:
  • How high is the ceiling now?
  • What is the goal or reason for wanting another couple feet of headroom?
  • Is it trusses or stick built?
  • What is the roofing material?
  • What are the dimensions of the garage?
sorry for the late response as i dont have regular internet as im hoteling it for 2 months until my new old house closes.

* anyways it has 8 foot ceilings
* i want more ceiling height so its easier to work on vehicles etc i also want to add 1 more garadge door pane so i can fit my truck in there i have a high construction topper . my garadge is my real home priotity.
* it was built in the 60s so it doesnt have engineered trusses, stick built
* regular shingles walls are 2x4 ceiling framing is also 2x4 .
*id say about 24x24.
the roofalso has a slight sag in it .

i wont be takling this project for awhile so im just getting some ideas feedback. taking the roof apart and reframing would make more sense but would cost more but then it would be done right.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... I'd raise the roof,+ Walls,.. seperating them at the bottom of the sill plate...
Jack the whole thing up,+ build knee walls under it...
ofcourse i completey go the harder route wthout thinking , that would be alot easier . i could then add green treated bottom plates.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

It would not be worth the effort if your roof is stick framed and already sagging. Look into the cost of ripping the roof off and adding your 2 ft and then putting trusses on and then putting a new roof on. You might be surprised at the affordability. I've seen trusses for around 30 bucks a peice so that would be about 400 bucks for you. You can probably get shingles for around 500-600 and sheating for around 200-250. So for around 1100 you could do it right and fix your sagging problem and have new shingles. If it were me I would save my money and do it right.

As far as adding 2 ft to the wall I believe it can be done without creating a hinge point like mentioned above. You might have to run some "king" studs from the floor to the ceiling. Another option would be lifting the walls after the roof is off, much safer to do if braced right. And then adding cinder blocks to add your 2 ft and then setting the walls down on top of them.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Remodeling Pro

Quote:
taking the roof apart and reframing would make more sense but would cost more but then it would be done right.
But to remove the roof intact correctly is going to require several hours of crane service which is probably at least $100 bucks an hour or more depending on rates in your area. You need to factor this cost in when weighing your options.

Also, doing it yourself you're going to have a lot more crane time than a builder/remodeler with a crew would.

I agree with the folks advocating dissasembling the roof and rebuilding it. You should be able to get the trusses on by hand with a couple stout buddies.

You could have the trusses designed with the extra ceiling height in them so you wouldn't even have to mess with the walls.
orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
ofcourse i completey go the harder route wthout thinking , that would be alot easier . i could then add green treated bottom plates.
None of this is easy, it's just different. If you think the average homeowner can ,"just" jack up a structure, you're mistaken. They need to contend with forces and structural considerations they have no idea how to deal with. Best case scenario, they guess wrong and the garage collapses, but no one dies.
People who suggest," I'd raise the roof,+ Walls,..", are projecting a OP level of experience and knowledge that doesn't exist. His response: "ofcourse i completey go the harder route wthout thinking , that would be alot easier" All this is, is naive inexperience.
To think you can jack up a structure like you can open a can of corn is absurd.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote