Gas Line - Move? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas line - move?

I have a gas line that is running along the bottom of the ceiling trusses in my basement, that Im starting to plan out the finishing of.

The gas line runs parrallel to the heating/ac duct, but I really dont want want to box in an extra foot of ceiling space just to cover up the gas line.

I want to sheetrock the ceiling, so is there anyway to hide the line or move it up into the truss?

Advertisement

Last edited by The Dogger; 12-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Gas line - move?

Call the gas company or a plumber that also have a gas licence.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Gas line - move?

To move it?
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

Gas line - move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
To move it?
You'll get a lot of help around here except when it comes to gas piping and valves.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Gas line - move?

If you do not want to use Black Iron, use CSS for the gas lines. Gas companies will not do the work, and plumbers at the most will not do the work, unless it is something that they normally do.

What exactly are you planning on doing, that you do not want to box the Black Iron into the same Soffitt box as the HVAC? You need to think out of the box, and look at the picture in how do you run the Gas piping along the bays between the joists where you need to, then run in the same soffitt area as the hvac.

Not Rocket science, and not something that needs to be over thought. Give me 10 minutes in your basement, and I could probably tell you the best solution to place the piping without over doing it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,256

Gas line - move?

+1

Picture would help as well and the guys that do basements all the time usually have all the tips and tricks down to a science.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Gas line - move?

I'm in the middle of doing exactly this right now, due to severe space restrictions. We're moving the black pipe over about a foot to run parallel and right next to the supply duct, bringing it into the new mechanical room and into a manifold. We'll branch from there to the other appliances. Each appliance will have its own shut-off at the manifold.
I'm doing a lot of the additional and prep work myself, but I won't touch the gas line. I'll leave that to the licensed gas guy, who I had in to survey and advise on the project before I even started.
The black pipe and gas work is not rocket science, but I prefer to give due respect to those simple things that can have fatal consequences. Call in an expert for this job.
northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Gas line - move?

There is no problem as a home owner doing the work yourself. As long as you make sure the fittings are tight, the soap mix does not bubble, all is good. The only time I call in my plumber, is because he has the cutting tool on his truck, if we have to shorten a length of line, or because I do not feel like doing it myself.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,682

Gas line - move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There is no problem as a home owner doing the work yourself. As long as you make sure the fittings are tight, the soap mix does not bubble, all is good. The only time I call in my plumber, is because he has the cutting tool on his truck, if we have to shorten a length of line, or because I do not feel like doing it myself.
yeah, i agree. other than leaks, about the only issue i can think of, is not making a spark while there is still gas in the line. but even then, i don't see what little gas is in the line being an issue. oh, and make sure the main shutoff is not leaking.

turn off gas main = check for leak at an appliance connection = disconnect pipe = blow air through the pipe. then do your work.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

Gas line - move?

Don't blow air through a gas pipe. Explosions take three things spark fuel and oxygen, blowing air into the pipe puts two of those components together.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,130

Gas line - move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
I have a gas line that is running along the bottom of the ceiling trusses in my basement
Really? Trusses?? Basement Ceiling?? Now I really want to see a picture.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Gas line - move?

You check for leaks while the gas is on. Blowing air through the line, is only for pressure testing. Once the valve is closed at the main, there is not anything in the line to do anything.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,682

Gas line - move?

blowing air, my thought was to get what little gas that is in the line, out. and if the line is open, there is oxygen.
and checking for the main leak, you would have to have the line open, as i could be leaking internally.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

Gas line - move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Really? Trusses?? Basement Ceiling?? Now I really want to see a picture.
I bet he meant joist. Possibly an engineered OSB I-beam.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Gas line - move?

There is no physical gas in the line when it is flowing. Natural gas is a vapor, not a Liquid. LPG flows as a vapor, not a liquid. Only fuel that is a physical liquid would be heating oil.

Once you shut off the main at the meter, open the line there is no danger. Even if there is a leak while working on the line, and you are able to stop it, there is no danger. It takes a high amount of vapor in an area that would cause a danger, if there is a spark.

Advertisement