Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Garrison Smart Lock for Front Door

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this site so please bear with me. I recently installed a Garrison Keyless Entry Deadbolt Lock for the front door of my house. The lock works if I turn it manually, meaning if I use a key from the outside or the switch on the inside of the house. If I try to unlock the door using the code, it will try to turn but is unable to do so. It seems to be jammed in some sense. The code I am using is 100% for sure working because I see a green light and it is in fact trying to turn. I can lock the door electronically however. Why can I only unlock the door manually and not electronically. Please help. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of a keyless entry lock if I have to use a key.

stuntwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Did you try contacting the company that makes the thing? It's possibly defective. Not sure how strong the little motor is that unlocks, is it possible there's a little too much friction on the bolt so the motor can't overcome it when unlocking?

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

By recently, I mean a few hours ago so I have not contacted the company yet. If it is friction, how can I fix it? I don't think WD40 will do it. There doesn't seem to be that much friction when I open it manually. Hmm...
Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntwei View Post
By recently, I mean a few hours ago so I have not contacted the company yet. If it is friction, how can I fix it? I don't think WD40 will do it. There doesn't seem to be that much friction when I open it manually. Hmm...
Could be that the striker plate for the Deadbolt, is set in a way that the bolt catches on it, causing the motor to not push it all the way out.

You are going to have to check to see if the bolt is catching on the Striker plate, and either file the edge to allow the bolt to pass through freely, or pull the plate, put Bondo in the hole, let the filler dry, then cut in a new hole for the bolt to go into.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #5

Could that still apply to when the bolt is going back into the door (unlocking). I would have thought that it can only catch on the way out (locking) since it is smooth going back inside.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Could that still apply to when the bolt is going back into the door (unlocking). I would have thought that it can only catch on the way out (locking) since it is smooth going back inside.
Yes, if it was pushed outwards. You have to have a clean throw for the deadbolt to go into the hole of the striker plate.

If the plate is not in the right place, the bolt will catch or drag, so you usually have to pull or push on the door, to get the bolt to go into the striker hole cleanly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Hmm, i'll have to look into it then. On a warmer day though. It was really cold today. Froze my hands lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Hmm, i'll have to look into it then. On a warmer day though. It was really cold today. Froze my hands lol.
If it has been sub-freezing temps, it can cause issues also, if there is no Storm door, or the storm door leaks too much air, causing a thermal difference between it and the main door.

I ended up just using a couple of files, from a set that I picked up at the local Harbor Freight. Took enough of the metal off of my Striker Plate, that the Dead bolt throws cleanly into the opening. Unless they drill the hole in the jamb for the Dead bolt, you always end up doing it yourself, and usually it is not perfect.

Also on another note, use 2 1/2" or 3" screws on the hinges and the striker plates. Makes it harder for someone to kick in the door.

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-20-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Tags
door, garrison, lock