Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Curling

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Garage to comfy craft shop

hello,

I have a 2 car garage; concrete floor with 2' stem wall. Its solid, built in the 1940's. Stud frame (actual 2x's), outer 1" thick sheeting, good roof, roll-up garage door. Elect in garage.

I want to cover the inner walls, insolate, wood (off the concrete floor), ceiling off of rafters, remove overhead door and infill (wheelchair enterance), some heat (good sealing of strucure should make space heating possible, work bench off one wall and central work area and light.

I will be doing some home/industrial sewing projects with high end (almost) industrial sewing machine. I also paint (art) and do a lot of computer junk. I also build ultra light wheelchairs.

Materials...that is what I need to know. What ideas are here to get this jpb done on the cheep and wiht quality.

Once all materials are here I intend to have a weekend party, inviting friends and neighbors and do this in a weekend. big idea. Ive done this type of commnity project before with great success and much fun. at that time i swang a hammer and conductors wand. this time only the wand!

Thanks a lot,
Stephen

Stephen1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is a project using base construction materials. Sheetrock, framing lumber, plywood and insulation. There aren't too many ways to cut costs, other than comparison shop using the big box stores.
Doing a project, on the cheap and with quality is usually an oxymoron, but this is a very basic conversion whose main issue is the quality of construction.
That depends on your skill set.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Curling

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you Ron,
lp me.
My skill set used to be very high. But now I dont/cant hammer any thing. So it will partly depend on people that me.

I am tryinig to remember about covering inner walls. If I do this in some ply, i can screw things in to it, albeit not heavy unless backed up. OR I can sheetrock it leaving he rock un finished ot at least painting it; for protecting the outer surface. This will let me pin things anywhere; had a studio once that was all sheetrock unfinished. Hanging up a lot of artwork and articles, etc was great.
A neighbor reminded me about Portland recycled materials businesses. There are sewveral big ones that get all sorts of things from lumber to sinks, anything.
I will have to get there and check out what they have.

thanks,
stephen
Stephen1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check to see if Habitat For Humanity has any stores in your vicinity. Price points for these goods will be lower, but the selection might be limited.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote