Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

garage addition question

I want to add 9ft to my existing garage. I would also like to have the new addition to the garage and existing garage have a room above it. My question is how to make the new roof line look correct with the current one. Since the new part of the addition will be higher than the current home roof line I was thinking of adding a foe dormer but have no idea how to make this look correct.

Can anyone help me with this?

robertstbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

garage addition question

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 68

garage addition question

Why the odd ball length? Going to be a lot more waste that way. Consider going 8 or 12'.
What's the room above going to be for, living space?
Talked to zoning to see if it's going to be allowed yet?
One issue you may have is working around that chimney.
The picture is at a slight angle so it's hard to see how it lines up with the garage.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

garage addition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why the odd ball length? Going to be a lot more waste that way. Consider going 8 or 12'.
What's the room above going to be for, living space?
Talked to zoning to see if it's going to be allowed yet?
One issue you may have is working around that chimney.
The picture is at a slight angle so it's hard to see how it lines up with the garage.
-Was going to do 9' that way it would bring the garage to the edge of the sidewalk. 8' would work well also.
-Room above the garage would be used for storage and bonus game room no living space.
-The chimney is going to be removed before construction of new space so this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
General Contractor

garage addition question

If you want to install an 8' high garage door ( which are very common these days ) then you need at least a 9' ceiling.
Otherwise an 8' ceiling will save you money........8' high exterior walls to be precise.

How about matching the roof pitch and gable ends to the existing for the second floor addition.

What's the plan for figuring out the structural requirements to make all this work ?

Last edited by Gary Evans; 02-03-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

garage addition question

I would ask you why you need to add to the garage, not that its a bad thing, but it would help to know what the space is to be used for. Personally, I would not want to go up on this ranch. I would be looking at adding onto the back of the house, possibly. But it depends on the intended use.

It is going to take very careful design to keep from having that 'added on' look. This is going to mandate that you purchase and learn how to use a software design package like a 3D home designer. I did this for my garage addition and it turned out great. I first reproduced the existing house design, saved it and then made a few different additions to see how it would look. I asked tons of people for their insight as to which one fit and looked better. The chosen design turned out exactly like the design software showed it would be. Cannot emphasize that software enough. Cheap insurance. Even though it was stressful at times, I love doing that kind of design and seeing it come to life. Best wishes on the project.
landar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
General Contractor

garage addition question

Perhaps robert doesn't want to lose his backyard, I'm sure he has a reason.

And with a simple house design like that it won't be too hard to make it look like it belongs with the rest of the house.
House design's actually don't get any easier than this one.

A reputable builder or general contractor building it would have no problem making this look really good........no need to go to the extra trouble of designing it your self if you don't want to.
I wouldn't recommend you try building this yourself anyways unless you are experienced with construction and general contracting.
Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

garage addition question

Yeah, don't know what was I thinking Gary. What could possibly go wrong? Good luck to you Robert.
landar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #9

garage addition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
Perhaps robert doesn't want to lose his backyard, I'm sure he has a reason.

And with a simple house design like that it won't be too hard to make it look like it belongs with the rest of the house.
House design's actually don't get any easier than this one.

A reputable builder or general contractor building it would have no problem making this look really good........no need to go to the extra trouble of designing it your self if you don't want to.
I wouldn't recommend you try building this yourself anyways unless you are experienced with construction and general contracting.
Thanks for every ones reply!
Gary you are correct I do not want to loose the back yard view. The current back of the home has an addition (20X20) room with multiple windows and a large slider to the patio. IF I build from the rear of the garage(my original idea) I would loose a large portion of my view that I want to keep.

I am not planning on attempting this my self just want multiple ideas on what would look the best.

My goal of doing the garage addition is to add a bedroom, laundry, and mud room. To do this I would like to still maintain a large 2 car garage.

I made this post as I am having a hard time finding a contractor that will give me a drawing of what the addition will look like. Lots of prices and crappy napkin scratching but nothing I can really say that yes that looks good. Guess it me being an engineer that I have to see the results before moving forward.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #10

garage addition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
If you want to install an 8' high garage door ( which are very common these days ) then you need at least a 9' ceiling.
Otherwise an 8' ceiling will save you money........8' high exterior walls to be precise.

How about matching the roof pitch and gable ends to the existing for the second floor addition.

What's the plan for figuring out the structural requirements to make all this work ?
The current garage has 8' ceiling so I am fine with this.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #11

garage addition question

As a general rule around here adding a "bedroom" sends up red flags to zoning, the health and building departments.
Just adding a closet in that new room and they may consider it a bedroom.
There main concern is the extra load on the septic system and points of egress.
If your garage is not finished inside at this time there going to require 5/8 fire rock and sealing the garage area away from the living space.
If you add up on the present building there will concerns with footing size and if what's there now will support a second story.
That whole roof system would have to go down to the walls.
Any spaces left in your panel box?
Not trying to discourage you just things that are going to come up.
In this area they have lost there minds when it comes to addition with bedrooms and new builds.
Main reason, people building homes with no closets in any of the "rooms" on the second floor trying to bypass zoning and septic rules.
They build a 2500 sq. ft. two story home and only claim it has two bedrooms on the first floor. Hmm.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

garage addition question

Robert,
My advice would to have someone who is capable (architect) draw up plans for what you want. Have them check your existing house so they can spec what exactly is needed, in the way of foundation, framing details, roof construction, etc. Then when you have a good set of plans, you can talk to contractor and get some realistic bids. Don't see how adding a second story just above the garage isn't going to make the house look very lopsided. I've seen a few people butcher up some ranches in my area when they added a second story to them. Must have been the same contractor because they were built similar and both look like sh@#. Good planning ahead of time along with good plans should get you good results. Also, go talk to your local building department like Joe mentioned and see what they require before you do anything. Take some pics of your house with you so they have an inkling of what you are talking about.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #13

garage addition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
As a general rule around here adding a "bedroom" sends up red flags to zoning, the health and building departments.
Just adding a closet in that new room and they may consider it a bedroom.
There main concern is the extra load on the septic system and points of egress.
If your garage is not finished inside at this time there going to require 5/8 fire rock and sealing the garage area away from the living space.
If you add up on the present building there will concerns with footing size and if what's there now will support a second story.
That whole roof system would have to go down to the walls.
Any spaces left in your panel box?
Not trying to discourage you just things that are going to come up.
In this area they have lost there minds when it comes to addition with bedrooms and new builds.
Main reason, people building homes with no closets in any of the "rooms" on the second floor trying to bypass zoning and septic rules.
They build a 2500 sq. ft. two story home and only claim it has two bedrooms on the first floor. Hmm.
The panel has plenty of space as I have already completed the wiring. Appreciate the info from everyone but I have already taken the steps to assure what I am doing is correct and able to be done. I just wanted to see if anyone had a Program that could draw up the roof and dormer to visualize what it will look like.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #14

garage addition question

Google Sketch Up
Old 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 42

garage addition question

When it comes to garages......it's never big enough.

My garage is 2-story....and it's not big enough

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote