Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gap at my front door

Background:
I'm in a condo, and recently put in tile floor in my entryway... long story short, the concrete floor was not level, I grinded it down enough to make only a slight slope in the floor, and its not noticable in the new tile (luckily).

However, the door now has a visible gap at the threshold. Previously, the door would push down the pile of the carpet (carpet didn't even have room for carpet pad).
My Problem:
I need some way to actually raise the threshold up about 1/2" to 3/4" and close the gap of the door. Anything I attach to the door (weather stripping, etc) will rub as the door opens. The door barely has any clearance when it all the way open, but when closed has this large gap.

The threshold now, is a rubber transition piece that gaps the hallway carpet and the tile I've installed (same piece that was there when it was carpet).

I can't find any product that really meets my need, and I really don't want to do any more major work, are there any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

ChuckF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Gap at my front door

Chuck,
Is your threshold adjustable? You could replace the threshold with an adjustable one, and raise one side higher than the other. They have adjustment screws.

Or, you could install a basic fixed threshold and build up the floor under one side or shim one side to raise it up to bridge the gap.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote