Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Hi!

I bought a one-piece (rounded corner) tub surround (http://www.maax.com/en/Products/Prod...=8&Product=804) to use with this bathtub (http://www.rona.ca/img/product/full/2003013.jpg) which has square corners.

My problem is when I dry fit the tub surround with the tub there is a gap in both corners because the tub surround is supposed to go along the tiling flange. The tiling flange is about 1.5" above the tub edge surface so there is an exposed gap in the corners (because the tub is square and the tub surround is rounded at the corners. The exposed area is about 1.5" high and extends from the rounded corner of the back wall to the rounded corner of the side wall (see picture below). Is there any practical way to cover over this exposed area? It would take a great deal of silicone to cover this, so I'm not wanting to do this (and it may look bad too)....

I took a pic:


What can I do about this besides take the surround back? My wife cut up the box already for the kids! Any ideas?

??? Help!

Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Member
 
RippySkippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Short of having someone come out and fiberglass it together, I don't think it will ever look right, that much caulk would really junk up your project. I'd would either 1.) look for a surround that fit that tub design, or 2.) find a tub that fit the surround, 3.) install a tile surround.

__________________
when it comes to breakfast, the chicken is dedicated, the pig is committed.
LMASD
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Short of having someone come out and fiberglass it together, I don't think it will ever look right, that much caulk would really junk up your project. I'd would either 1.) look for a surround that fit that tub design, or 2.) find a tub that fit the surround, 3.) install a tile surround.
What about getting a tub resurfacer (such as "Bathfitter") to fill the corner for me? How would this look?
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Short of having someone come out and fiberglass it together, I don't think it will ever look right, that much caulk would really junk up your project. I'd would either 1.) look for a surround that fit that tub design, or 2.) find a tub that fit the surround, 3.) install a tile surround.
Another idea (maybe a crazy one)... I would have to cut off about 3" of the tub surround along the entire edge on both ends, I wonder if I could use a small piece and sand/trim it up with my Dremel tool so it fits nicely into the corner gap, then cover the edges carefully with silicone. Would this look ok?
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


I might have to return it to Home Depot. I have already glued in the foam corner pieces to the wall so I would have to cut them off the wall. The wife has also cut up the box for the kids, so I would have to tape it back together.

One good thing is that I haven't cut into the surround at all, knowing that I might have to take it back to the store.
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


I'd return it or sell it. It will never look good. Outfits like Re-Bath and Bathfitter simply install covers over the tub, that are made brand-specific to the tub. There's very little actual craftsmanship involved with their installations and I doubt they can help you.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


My wife's uncle said that if Home Depot won't take the surround back, I should cut the surround straight down at the two corners and make it a 3-piece (and square corners)... Then I would have to apply silicone in the corners... how does this sound?

Last edited by Howitzer; 09-13-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


If I can return my present surround, I'm going to go with this one:
http://www.maax.com/en/Products/Prod...=8&Product=774
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
My wife's uncle said that if Home Depot won't take the surround back, I should cut the surround straight down at the two corners and make it a 3-piece (and square corners)... Then I would have to apply silicone in the corners... how does this sound?
Honest answer? It'll look like a hack job. If you've done all this work it would be a shame to cob it together to save the cost of a new one.

Put the old one for sale on craigslist or something like that. Or you could donate it to Habitat For Humanity and take a tax deduction. Either way, you can recover some of your money. I doubt HD will take it back without the packaging and once it has been installed (they shouldn't!), but you never know.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Honest answer? It'll look like a hack job. If you've done all this work it would be a shame to cob it together to save the cost of a new one.

Put the old one for sale on craigslist or something like that. Or you could donate it to Habitat For Humanity and take a tax deduction. Either way, you can recover some of your money. I doubt HD will take it back without the packaging and once it has been installed (they shouldn't!), but you never know.
I taped the box back together, so it is complete (my wife cut it into about 10 pieces for the kids, but it looks ok when taped back together.) I still have to remove the foam corner off the wall (they are secured with two-sided tape and adhesive, so I might have to cut them off with a utility knife). All the materials will be in the box, plus I didn't cut up the tub surround at all)... I'm optimistic HD will refund me my money back.
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
I taped the box back together, so it is complete (my wife cut it into about 10 pieces for the kids, but it looks ok when taped back together.) I still have to remove the foam corner off the wall (they are secured with two-sided tape and adhesive, so I might have to cut them off with a utility knife). All the materials will be in the box, plus I didn't cut up the tub surround at all)... I'm optimistic HD will refund me my money back.
I hope for your sake they take it back. It does appear that the walls don't match up to the style tub you have.
The give away is that the box is all taped up, I purchased a cast iron sink from HD once when I took it to the job and opened it up, I had a hell of a time trying to open the box, it appeared to be stapled like normal, but it was glued with Formica glue or some type of rubber cement. well when the box was opened it revealed an old sink. some one made the switch. when I brought it back they looked at me as if I had three eyes. They did re founded my money. Good luck.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


Yay!! Home Depot accepted my return!
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Default

Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?


glad it worked out for you

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-tiling a bathtub surround BillyB44 Remodeling 39 01-24-2011 06:10 PM
Preparing to install Kerdi on bathtub surround DIY-Renovator Flooring 18 07-17-2008 10:42 AM
bathtub install matjone Plumbing 3 01-03-2008 05:51 PM
Replace Bathtub w/ Shower Only mahjohn Building & Construction 3 07-06-2006 08:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.