DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

fuzzy white stuff growing on my walls????

31K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  yummy mummy 
#1 ·
After using hydraulic cement on my concrete walls, and stopping the water from coming in, I notice that there is some type of white fuzzy thing growing.

I would like to know what this is and if it is going to interefere in anyway with my future finished drywalled basement?

Thanks

#4 ·
You still have water in your walls.

When you applied hydraulic cement, you fixed a leak of running water. The water is still in the basement wall and in the soil. To get a true dry basement, you have to get rid of the water, not try to seal, which always has questionable results.

The efflorescence tells you have a small amount (not enough to see) of water coming out of the wall. Whether this will interfere with the results of your project depends on what you are doing to finish your basement and whether you have some severly wet weather.

Have you done all of the proper steps outside your home to eliminate the water? These include gutters, long downspout extensions(8' or more) and grading away from the house.

#6 ·
I am new to the DIY site and I noticed you had a discussion a while ago regarding the white fuzzy stuff on the concrete in the basement. I just bought a new house and it looks like I have the same stuff and I am curious to know how you made out. Bottom line is we found a water problem in the basement during the building process and the builder applied the sealer on the walls and floors. My thought was always that this is just going to hide the issue but we took a chance. As it turns out, I now have moisture where the concete slab meets the foundation wall and now we have this white fuzzy stuff appearing as well. Any suggestions?

#7 ·
Yummy ; darn still smilin. to properly get rid of that water the builder SHOULD HAVE installed a perimeter drain system. I suggest you find out if this was done.If not then it should be done and sorry to say it will not be cheap now but unless that water aroud you footing and walls is not drained away it will be a continuous problem.
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.