Furring Over Insulation For Attic Ceiling ? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furring over insulation for attic ceiling ?

Hi there. I'm new to the site. I'm refinishing my attic space and I have an insulation question. Kraft face fiberglass insulation is already installed in the rafter bays with proper vents, soffit vents & ridge vent. I wanted to attach the drywall directly to the rafters, but they are spaced so irregularly the layout doesn't work. The idea is to add furring 16 o.c. perpendicular to the rafters to attach the drywall to, but I want to make sure this won't cause problems for the insulation. My question is will the extra air gap created by the furring between the vapor retarder and the back of the drywall cause any sort of problem? I've been researching the web and haven't been able to find anything solid on the issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

Max.7.24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cut the sheetrock accordingly instead. What R-factor insulation is there? You need at least R-32 (I believe)(2x12 rafters I believe).

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Thanks! That takes care of the sloped ceiling. I will skip the furring there and just make the cuts like you said.

However, there is a 64" flat ceiling with 1"x6" rough sawn collar ties. They are spaced about 21" o.c. I was hoping to still use the furring in this one area in order to get 16" o.c. so I can use 1/2" drywall(because I, perhaps mistakenly already have it in the attic Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max.7.24
Thanks! That takes care of the sloped ceiling. I will skip the furring there and just make the cuts like you said.

However, there is a 64" flat ceiling with 1"x6" rough sawn collar ties. They are spaced about 21" o.c. I was hoping to still use the furring in this one area in order to get 16" o.c. so I can use 1/2" drywall(because I, perhaps mistakenly already have it in the attic Any suggestions?
It's probably 19.25" o/c, another layout standard.
You can use 1/2", though you know 5/8" is better. Might check with local fire codes because they are different from place to place.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,010

Where are you located?

How old is the house?

What type of insulation?

Gary
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #6

Hi GBR. Located in upstate ny. House was built in 1920s. The problem has actually become much more complicated. We found mold behind the fiberglass. There actually is no soffit or ridge vent (above was error). Now we have to tear out what is there and treat the mold. My BIG question now is how to best insulate the rafter space to refinish the attic with drywall. Any advice? I unfortunately cannot afford to spray foam the whole thing.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #7

Will it be living space? Or attic storage, when finished?

Are there knee walls?

Is there egress window or door?

Is there a finished stairway?

Gary
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

There is not really a knee wall per se.... the main exterior wall extends about 20" above the attic floor(the rafters sitting on its double top plate). There is a finished walk up stairway with an exit and two egress windows. We will use it as an office space, possibly an extra bedroom.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #9

Any f.g. insulation has to be in direct contact with the drywall for optimum performance.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_n8582994/

http://www.advancedinsulationinc.com...Insulation.pdf

You really need to air seal the attic first: http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/v...170a32100a05c7

How to: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wWATQw&cad=rja

This will help you find the air leaks: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021105092.pdf

Are you soffits outside open, or closed?

Gary
Max.7.24 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #10

I was thinking about your situation the other day.... here is more info on the 20" extended exterior walls: http://www.smandf.com/25-Conventiona...&Solutions.pdf

I hope you did not remove ANY framing for headroom: http://www.unified-eng.com/ch/thrust.html

Gary
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max.7.24
There is not really a knee wall per se.... the main exterior wall extends about 20" above the attic floor(the rafters sitting on its double top plate). There is a finished walk up stairway with an exit and two egress windows. We will use it as an office space, possibly an extra bedroom.
If it's going to be a bedroom, those windows can't be 12 feet in the air on the outside.
I'm probably getting the wrong picture in my head, though.
How about a pic or two?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I was thinking about your situation the other day.... here is more info on the 20" extended exterior walls: http://www.smandf.com/25-Conventiona...&Solutions.pdf

I hope you did not remove ANY framing for headroom: http://www.unified-eng.com/ch/thrust.html

Gary

Thanks for the links.... After reading, now I am evaluating the few partition walls we added to the attic space for storage closets. We attached the top of the walls directly to the underside of the rafters. I'm questioning whether the load will transfer.

The roof is a 9/12 pitch.
The rafters are 2 x 8" (built in 1920s)
There are 1 x 6" collar ties on every rafter
The rafters are spaced 21" on center.

What are your thoughts on those conditions?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #13

Just that with the potential for the problems you could create, I would consult a Professional. The closet walls are now transferring the roof loads to the floor joists, I hope they can take it. The 20" walls should be braced with diagonals to resist spreading/breaking as the article sited. Also the collar ties are very important to help hold the structure together, An S.E. would know if you could move them up for headroom and by how much. You have some forces at work and really should find some direction other from us: http://www.awc.org/helpoutreach/ecou...seV09-2007.pdf Let us know how it turns out...

Gary
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Just that with the potential for the problems you could create, I would consult a Professional. The closet walls are now transferring the roof loads to the floor joists, I hope they can take it. The 20" walls should be braced with diagonals to resist spreading/breaking as the article sited. Also the collar ties are very important to help hold the structure together, An S.E. would know if you could move them up for headroom and by how much. You have some forces at work and really should find some direction other from us: http://www.awc.org/helpoutreach/ecou...seV09-2007.pdf Let us know how it turns out...

Gary
Thanks GBR. I did a little more investigating. The 20" walls are actually balloon framed. The 2 x 8" ceiling joists are attached to the studs. From the .pdf you sent I can see the max recommended distance for this design is 8" and we have 20". I am hearing your advice about the S.E. but want to make sure I'm understanding the concern. If the house has been structurally sound for the past 90 or so years, is the need to reinforce this framing coming from hanging the drywall? There was drywall in the space for 10 years prior to now which we removed and there is no visible sagging, etc. The partition walls are small and can be easily relocated so they are not in contact with the rafters and thus removing the risk of transferring the load. Thanks again for all your advice

Also, I will post some pics once we finish tearing out the insulation so there is a good visual of the framing situation.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Max.7.24 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (03-07-2012)