Front Door Replacement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Front Door Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I have a new front door I need to install. It is already primed, painted, etc. I had planned on reusing the old frame, however, the hinges are a different style and they do not line up with the new door's placement. That said, to continue to do this project right, I need to pull my old door frame. I have hung doors and replaced frames before, however, my front door is surrounded by brick and concrete. I have never dealt with this before and I am concerned I have no idea what I am getting into if I pull the frame. Since I live in Colorado, and it is December, I feel like I should know exactly what I am getting into before ripping out my entry door.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can provide pictures if that will help.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Medic-5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Front Door Replacement

Need those pictures.
Hope you now going to install a prehung door.
In most cases you remove the inside casing, and on the outside you remove the brick moulding to remove the door.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 860

Front Door Replacement

Need some pics .I would suggest as Joe has.To take the door back and get a prehung unless you have the tools and knowledge to make a new frame correctly and install the threshold.You'll be glad you did.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

Front Door Replacement

The replacement door is a prehung, I was just trying to avoid pulling the old frame. Now that nothing lines up j don't have a choice so I will be lol. I will post some pictures this evening when I get home
Old 12-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #5

Front Door Replacement

Why would you buy a prehung door and not use the new frame.Not hard to remove the old frame.Remove the casing on the inside and the brickmold on the outside and see how the jamb is attached.Usaully a simple job of cutting some nails with a sawzall.
Could be a few long screws in the hinges plates going into the jamb.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Front Door Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Why would you buy a prehung door and not use the new frame.Not hard to remove the old frame.Remove the casing on the inside and the brickmold on the outside and see how the jamb is attached.Usaully a simple job of cutting some nails with a sawzall.
Could be a few long screws in the hinges plates going into the jamb.
Primarily because I didn't want to deal with the brick since I was unsure if what was involved. At this point it sounds like it is really no different than an interior door apart from some caulking. Three was also No cost difference and just the door had a huge lead time
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 64

Front Door Replacement

If you had planned at first to use the old frame because it was in good shape you could have just bought the door slab and notched the original door hinge mount locations of the frame to the door .
daveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Front Door Replacement

Should not have to deal with the brick at all.There should be wood framing inside the brick that the old frame is attached to.Take a utility knife and cut the caulking out around the existing brick mold and remove it.You will then be able to see what you're dealing with.If the brick mold on the new prehung is a bit tight to the existing brick all you need to do is pull it off and reset the reveal.Then caulk.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Medic-5150 (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 572

Front Door Replacement

I always remove the wooden brick moulding anyway and replace with PVC brick moulding.
Never going to rot or need painting.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Front Door Replacement

Here are some exterior pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Front Door Replacement-img_20141210_163655.jpg   Front Door Replacement-img_20141210_163646.jpg   Front Door Replacement-img_20141210_163632.jpg  

Advertisement