French Door Installation - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

French Door Installation

I am replacing sliding glass doors with a French door. Got a great price on a set and want to make them work. I would like to them open out onto the patio, but doing so would leave the hinges on the outside of the exterior wall, and the door threshold inside. If I have to install this way I will, as the patio is secure. Simply can't have them open in, there's not enough space to accomodate them. It's my first time with French doors. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Martha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

French Door Installation

Exterior out swing doors should have a 'security hinge', otherwise, just popping the pins will allow a thief to remove the door.
Can the threshold be remove and reversed? It has a slope (usually) that should drain to the outside. Might need some modifications to it so the doors seal properly.
Post a picture of the threshold assembly so we can see how it attaches to the jamb.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

French Door Installation

usually sliding doors are framed to a smaller rough opening than french doors, did you pull off door trim to see if they will fit?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

French Door Installation

You can't install this door the way you intend unless by,"secure" you mean the patio has a roof over it that insures the door will not see a drop of water on it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

French Door Installation

The French doors will fit into the rough opening of the old slider, so no problem there. The patio they lead to is is 12' x 20' and completely covered by a roof, so no rain will get near the door. By secure, I meant that having the hinges outside would allow them to be "popped" off. I'll check the threshold assembly to see if it can be reversed, and if need be I'll post a picture. Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Martha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

French Door Installation

hinges can be secured easy enough, exterior trim with proper head flashing is doable, they make a dripcap specific for the bottom of the door so it all seems doable imo
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

French Door Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha1 View Post
The French doors will fit into the rough opening of the old slider, so no problem there. The patio they lead to is is 12' x 20' and completely covered by a roof, so no rain will get near the door. By secure, I meant that having the hinges outside would allow them to be "popped" off. I'll check the threshold assembly to see if it can be reversed, and if need be I'll post a picture. Thanks to everyone for your replies.
The threshold cannot be reversed. These aren't all purpose doors to fit any and all criteria. To compensate for the blunt curb on the exterior, you will need to apply some sort of sloped saddle in order to avoid a tripping hazzard.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote