Framing For Drywall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
god

Rewards Points: 25

framing for drywall

Just a 2 by 4 framing question. I'm building a closet downstaits with an existing wall. Where I am placing the closet, the existing wall depth is already about 18 inches deep. Short version is I have to add a wall section that will come straight out about 1 foot ending at a corner then go right about 1 foot where the closet door would start. It seems to me these two 1 foor walls are going to take alot of 2 by 4's. I need to triple up the 2 by 4 on one corner so I can attached the drywall on the inside later properly.

It seems to me I'm going to have alot of 2 by 4's for two short sections of wall?

Advertisement

god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

framing for drywall

Yep, there are no real shortcuts when you need to do it right the first time. I spent a lot of time looking at new homes under construction to get a grasp of what worked and how to do it correctly. Anything less and you are just asking for problems down the road. You can put three short 2x4s between two full length studs to get the right spacing for inside and outside corners.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
god

framing for drywall

I do want to do it right the first time. I've gotten very picky doing jobs around the house. never thought of the idea of using short 2by 4's to get the spacing right.
Good use for the short ends.
I more question. Living in the great white north, the wood I'll be buying would of been kept outside. Would I be better off leaving the wood outside and only bringing it inside when I want to cut and install. I have concerns it might warp when its thawing out

Last edited by god; 01-19-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

framing for drywall

Here are the two standard ways of doing that.

The smaller one (left) is for corners and for free-standing wall endings (to keep them rigid).

The larger one (right) is for "T" intersections of walls.
Attached Thumbnails
framing for drywall-corner-t.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 01-19-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

framing for drywall

As builders get cheaper and cheaper, and try to squeeze every dime and every minute of production till they squeak, many walls now get built like this......

The intersecting plates are held short the distance (thickness) of the drywall... and the final stud is left out till the main wall is drywalled (only shown partially drywalled here for clarity)... then that last stud is screwed into place from the back side of the drywall.

A royal PITA to me, but some guys are actually doing this sort of thing everywhere they can figure out how to install one or two less studs.
Attached Thumbnails
framing for drywall-stud-shortcuts.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 01-19-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

framing for drywall

yeah and the trim guy is screaming
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Old School

framing for drywall

It's nothing more than an old metal stud framing trick. But it should never be done with wood.

Also, a great number of framers are now making the corners like I showed in the first drawing as simply two studs nailed together, lengthwise, in an "L" shape. No blocks to install, but it barely gives you 3/4" of nailer on each side of the wall if you get DOUBLY cheap and try to use the same technique on "T" intersections. And some guys do, I'm sure.

The "L" shape is shown below. That blue stud is installed in the normal position... you just can't see it in this view.
Attached Thumbnails
framing for drywall-l-corner.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 01-19-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
god

framing for drywall

Heres a picture of my closet in progress. It is already 16 inches deep. Its a supporting wall in the basement/ I have to add about 12 inches so I will extend the wall out. Of course I'll remove 3 1/2 inches of drywall and add a 12 inch wall out.

Last edited by god; 01-19-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

framing for drywall

As for bringing in the wood from the cold, yes, I would.
If it's gonna warp, twist or bow then it's better to do it before you frame with it. Use what's straight otherwise you could see cracks and nail pops later. Do it right the first time.

Ron
Ron Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

framing for drywall

http://www.nuwool.com/images/pages/C...iaCorners1.gif

Good Luck

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
god

framing for drywall

Just a followup guys. Didn't know the 2 by 4's were so cheap. I didn't use any short cuts, I ended up nailing three together on one side for the corner. And on the other side I used a extra 2 by 4. Its alot easier to install a extra one now before the drywall is isntalled rather then after. (grin)
I have the drywall up and just gave the first coat of primer tonight, looks great.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #12

framing for drywall

I hope its not for clothes on hangers
You need 24" for that
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

framing for drywall

Oh yeah, 2x4's are nicely priced because they're used so often.
Glad it worked out for you. Just like a little pinprick - not too bad.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
god

framing for drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I hope its not for clothes on hangers
You need 24" for that
I used the same depth as my closet upstairs. I wasn't planning on hanging clothes but rather building shelfes inside for storage. I plan on 4 shelfs using construction grade plywood with one center support. I looked at the white wire ( sorry, forget the proper name) shelfing sold at hardware stores but its look kind of cheap
Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

framing for drywall

wire is good for clothes because of air circulation. I like it in clothes closets

Advertisement

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote