Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

Share |

Framing in doorway for bi-fold door

Our basement is finished, carpet and drywall. Under our stairs is an open area about 3.5'x4' with the ceiling tapering down (stairs above). Right now the doorway is wide open with drywall finished all around. I want to frame in a doorway to add a bi-fold closet door.

My question is where I will add the studs against the finished walls on either side, should I remove the drywall or just attached through the drywall on either side. I will leave drywall if it is not a big deal. I don't see why I would have to. I will be building the wall on the floor and raising into place (if it matters).

Thank you.

NickWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Do you have the head room to do that?
http://www.homeadditionplus.com/fram...ifold-Door.htm
I would go with a louved door so there could be some air flow, if not it may mold up.
I also build a knee wall in the back of it since it's just wasted space and things end up getting pushed back under there.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. There is a knee wall in the back (at between 3.5-4 feet tall). It has a set of doors that open to the space under the stairs which is open to the furnace room as well.

I will look into louvered doors, I have never liked the look (think it looks good and I've only ever seen the plain wood ones) but perhaps things have changed. If we used louvered doors in the knee wall (replacing the current cabinet doors) would that work? As I said it is open to the space under the stairs which is then open to the furnace room.

I will look at louvered doors but would rather go with matching bi-fold to our current basement doors.

Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

Your furnace needs make up air so you may have to stay with a louved door.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Hm fair enough, is the issue because it is such a small area? We have laundry room and a food room in the basement and both have regular doors. These aren't damp or smell at all (although door is not always closed).
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Not so new

A picture would certainly help here! Sounds as if the opening is already there. Not sure what needs to be framed.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Here is a snap from my Sketchup of the area. You can see how it is. It is all finished drywall and there is carpet on the floor and the doors (blue/grey color) go to the space under the stairs.

The furnace room is the room on the left and is open to the area under the stairs. I want to frame in the doorway and put a closet door here. We don't have much room for coats in the entrance so there will be a coat rod and some storage shelf for boots, mitts, gloves, helmets, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Jack of all - master none

What is the current finished opening? I think you can order them custom-sized if it's not a standard opening. Bi-folds are measured true, so a 36" door is 36" wide. It's not like a standard door where you have to have a larger rough-opening to accommodate the jamb and shimming.

EDIT:
I may have looked at that wrong, I thought the door was going to the furnace room, not to that little spot next-to the furnace room. Is that the 3.5' wide area you mentioned? 42" - 36" door leaves you with 6" for framing. Perfect for two 2x4s on each side. However, no room for the drywall wrap then. So, you'll need to cut off the drywall, frame right against the existing framing, then wrap the opening in drywall. Or, choose a smaller door and build appropriately. Just don't forget to keep the width of the drywall in mind for the opening. (i.e. if using 1/2" drywall, the framing needs to be 1" bigger than the door).

Last edited by hyunelan2; 01-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote