Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Share |
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Hi All,

I'm starting to frame the exterior walls of my basement. I have a poured foundation, and there is Dow rigid foam insulation around the concrete walls (on the interior). It is silver (aluminum foil coated for vapor barrier).

I'm framing a wall along this, and the ceiling joists run parallel to my wall. I can just nail into the joists at the top (I get it), but I had to drop my wall in the middle to make room for a soffit that will house my heat runs.

I would normally block nail into the concrete foundation, but the rigid foam insulation prevents this. How can I secure this lowered portion of my framing to the wall?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 44
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


What type of floor do you (or will you) have. You're not building walls before the sub-floor is in are you? I think I'm confused of your question.


Last edited by jmd87; 12-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd87 View Post
What type of floor do you (or will you) have. You're not building walls before the sub-floor is in are you?
It's a concrete floor, but no subfloor is needed. Bone dry basement, it's not needed in my area.
bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Can you post a picture?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,912
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Tap Cons or Ram Sets will work fine where it attaches to the slab.
Bottom plates need to be pressure treated.
Going to need to add fire stops at the top of the wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 44
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Connect top plate to floor joists as you mentioned and bottom plate to concrete floor. No need to connect to foundation. Make sure foundation is water-tight though
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 139
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Mark and square the corners of wall,then attach sill foam to the bottom of the pressure treated plates you are going to install.
Then Ramset your plates to the floor.
Then measure from the top of the plate to the bottom of first floor joist.
Construct 8 foot sections wall on the ground,making the height 1/4 inch shorter than the plate/joist measure you just took.
Lift section into place,shim at top.
You will have a solid section of wall.
Only by #1 grade wood for this project,much easier to work with and much easier to rock later on.
Buy or rent a compressor and a framing nailer.
Buy a Ramset gun with trigger,not the cheap arse "hit it with a hammer" kind.
End nail your connections,saves time and material 2 nails versus 3.
Sill foam prevents any contact with wood of any kind to the floor.Good Luck.
spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bergsj View Post
Hi All,

I'm starting to frame the exterior walls of my basement. I have a poured foundation, and there is Dow rigid foam insulation around the concrete walls (on the interior). It is silver (aluminum foil coated for vapor barrier).

I'm framing a wall along this, and the ceiling joists run parallel to my wall. I can just nail into the joists at the top (I get it), but I had to drop my wall in the middle to make room for a soffit that will house my heat runs.

I would normally block nail into the concrete foundation, but the rigid foam insulation prevents this. How can I secure this lowered portion of my framing to the wall?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Do you only have a issue with the portion of the wall that will run under the duct work?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Do you only have a issue with the portion of the wall that will run under the duct work?
Yes.

Where my wall is lowered, the top plates of the wall are about 1 foot lower than the joists. And, being that I have foam on the walls, I can't block nail the framing to the foundation.

I have the framing attached at the beginning and end, but the middle portion is lowered and there isn't anything to attach to. I assume code requires the top of the framing to be attached every couple studs. Correct?
bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bergsj View Post

Yes.

Where my wall is lowered, the top plates of the wall are about 1 foot lower than the joists. And, being that I have foam on the walls, I can't block nail the framing to the foundation.

I have the framing attached at the beginning and end, but the middle portion is lowered and there isn't anything to attach to. I assume code requires the top of the framing to be attached every couple studs. Correct?
A picture would really help. Why do you have duct work up aagainst your exterior wall?

id frame a full stud to either side. Then frame under the duct like a window. Minus the header of course.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Here are two pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Basement Walls - Help!-imag0086.jpg   Framing Basement Walls - Help!-imag0087.jpg  
bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,641
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


are you going to continue that wall across the entire room? if so, where the wall continues past the ductwork interference and where you can add the next full length stud back up to the ceiling, that next stud in the wall could be used to nail a lowered wall plate to and then run the plate back level to the last full stud in the wall as shown in the pic. fill the studs in under this new lowered plate and then build your soffit/bulkhead for the ducting off of the wall- however much soffit is needed. does that make sense? you are basically using the two full studs either side of the obstacle to nail the wall plate to that will be placed into the wall at the height needed as determined by your obstacles.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
are you going to continue that wall across the entire room? if so, where the wall continues past the ductwork interference and where you can add the next full length stud back up to the ceiling, that next stud in the wall could be used to nail a lowered wall plate to and then run the plate back level to the last full stud in the wall as shown in the pic. fill the studs in under this new lowered plate and then build your soffit/bulkhead for the ducting off of the wall- however much soffit is needed. does that make sense? you are basically using the two full studs either side of the obstacle to nail the wall plate to that will be placed into the wall at the height needed as determined by your obstacles.
Ok, thank you. In summary, the lowered portion of my wall (under the ductwork) will be nailed to the first and last studs that go all the way up to the ceiling.

But, doesn't the wall need to be attached to the ceiling at every stud, versus only on the two outside studs going all the way up to the ceiling?
bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,641
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bergsj View Post
Ok, thank you. In summary, the lowered portion of my wall (under the ductwork) will be nailed to the first and last studs that go all the way up to the ceiling.

But, doesn't the wall need to be attached to the ceiling at every stud, versus only on the two outside studs going all the way up to the ceiling?

ideally yes, but obviously that cannot happen so a compromise is needed. that is simply the most straight forward approach to running a wall around obstacles while keeping wall structurally sound. make sure the two outer full length studs are nailed really good to the wall plates and double them up if it will help. I would figure out the height of the lowered pl;ate, get it in the wall and grab it and twist,yank,pull on it to see just how strong it is. if it feels solid you are good to go and it will strengthen much more after you put the studs under it to fill the wall in.

edit, you can also make the lowered plate a double and that will be stronger yet.

Last edited by hand drive; 12-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaska, MN
Posts: 37
Default

Framing Basement Walls - Help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
ideally yes, but obviously that cannot happen so a compromise is needed. that is simply the most straight forward approach to running a wall around obstacles while keeping wall structurally sound. make sure the two outer full length studs are nailed really good to the wall plates and double them up if it will help. I would figure out the height of the lowered pl;ate, get it in the wall and grab it and twist,yank,pull on it to see just how strong it is. if it feels solid you are good to go and it will strengthen much more after you put the studs under it to fill the wall in.

edit, you can also make the lowered plate a double and that will be stronger yet.

Excellent. Thank you!!

bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting tricky Basement walls. What paint should I use? tw1208 Painting 1 10-12-2012 08:07 PM
Insulate unfinished basement walls? DennyF Insulation 3 02-28-2012 12:36 PM
What to do with basement walls. RR. Remodeling 3 02-20-2012 06:49 PM
How to solve problem of moist basement walls moist Building & Construction 4 08-30-2010 05:18 PM
Need to rebuild outside steps and walls coming from basement doug123 Building & Construction 31 05-03-2010 07:45 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.