Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

Share |

framing basement

Hi everyone...

I have bought a house and the basement is unfinished, so i would like finish it.
Do you know where i can find information about framing (first step to begin) and videos step by step

I accept any kind of advice
thk

pavlito24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #2

framing basement

search on you tube

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
DIY staff

framing basement

Ask here,also---

One thing to remember about framing a basement--it is easiest to frame the walls on the floor---But do so with the top of the wall section near the foundation---then drag the wall up into position.

Why? Standing up a wall section in a basement often won't work--to many things hanging down from above.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
In a little over my head

framing basement

I'd start with a book. Check the selection at HD or Lowes. I really like the "Framing" book from Creative Homeowner.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

framing basement

Even in new houses the concrete floor is seldom perfect. you can cut all studs to the shortest measurement and shim loose ones at the top. You can put 2/ 2 x 4 blocks on the flat, on the floor under each joist take each stud, (number them), put it on the block against the side of each joist and mark it for length. As oh'mike said top in first, drive bottom in with sledge. If that doesn't work, get a bigger sledge.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Stairguy

framing basement

You also want to do some research on other needs that need to be done before you frame those walls, such as vapor barriers, insulation and proper drainage.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

framing basement

thk everyone for your responses, since i'm a beginner,i have a lot of questions and some of them are easy for you, but not for me
For exp:
1. I have to start framing in the middle of the wall or from the corners?
2.What is the measure that i have to leave between the wall and the bottom plates ?
3.how should i do to put the studs in the corners ? (between two walls)
4.On the top i have put two plates ?
5 What are the size of the stud that i have to use?

Thks everyone and sorry for my dumb questions and for my english
Pablo
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
DIY staff

framing basement

Single top plate--treated floor plate--

Snap chalk lines on the floor where the face of the wall will be,

Cut all of your plates and set them behind the line--

Stud spacing is typically 16"

Mark your corners==make the first stud line 16 3/4 place an X on the side you are measuring from--

your first stud is now 16" to the center of the stud--

Move ruler to that 'god' line and mark the plate every 16"

Using a level---transfer locations of windows and other openings---then mark the plates for that framing--

Add marks for door openings---

More marks for splits in the wall where the elevation changes to clear duct work and other over head clutter--

Before you move the stacked studs---measure the distance from the plates to the ceiling--in several places---then deduct 3/8"---write that on the plate--that is your stud length--

Build walls on the floor with the top plate nearest the chalk line---stand up the wall by dragging it up the wall---

Attempting to stand up a basement wall in the usual manor frequently fails--to many pipes and such in the way---
mae-ling (05-30-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Haverhill Trade 1965

framing basement

I'm from New England oh'mike, I use 15 1/4" and step away, and call it the "boss" line, (or corner, because it tells everything else what to do).
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

framing basement

Pablo, you may also have to consider how dry your basement is at the moment. If there is a hint of dampness, you may have to Drylok your walls prior to framing and your floors for that matter.

Also you should consider putting 2" foam boards up against the walls before framing. This will help keep the home much warmer if that is a concern of yours. Here's a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eSSqWCnEmEk

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

framing basement

It sounds like you are pretty new to this and from one noob to another I would frame with a very good idea of how/where your drywall will be hung (and having that edge fall on half a stud so you have something to screw into) I learned the hard way with my friend when he framed his basement and I helped him drywall. He framed 16" OC from one end but we started hanging the drywall from the other. He also hadn't been that accurate when placing his studs and only measured to the most recently placed stud so there was some placement creep and, after a couple of sheets, the edge of the drywall wasn't landing on the stud

We ended up needing a lot of nailers to take care of everything but my basement finishing went much smoother from the lessons learned
Exterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #12

framing basement

That wall should I start? with or without windows. Wich one is more easy to start framing?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
DIY staff

framing basement

All plates should be cut and marked before you start framing---

I usually start with with longest wall--just to get it out of the way
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #14

framing basement

whats with everyone and standing walls up in basements????
if i'm putting up 2x4 walls i measure 4" on either end of the wall and i snap a line.
i then use a powder gun(hilti ramset etc) and nail it to the floor. for a basic diyer tapcons or even pounding concrete nails.
i then cut a 2x4 a bit taller then the floor joists.
i level up the stud and mark a line on the floor joist and then do the same on the other end of the wall.
i snap a line along the floor joists.
i attach the top plate to the floor joists.
next i mark my 16's.
i now measure the height of each stud and get cutting
i then go along the bottom plate putting the stud in place toe nailing the studs in place.
i put a level on each stud then toe nail it the top plate.

you now have a perfectly level wall without destroying your back trying to lift the wall and you did have to shim it or smash it into place with a sludge hammer cause of that one floor joist that has he crown the wrong way or a hump in the concrete floor.

i'd start in a corner and do your exterior walls first then your interior walls. for connecting 2 walls at a corner put a 2x4 on its flat beside your first stud making a "L". when connecting an interior wall to an exterior walls just nail/screw them at the top and bottom plates then add in a 2x6" so you have something to screw the drywall to in the corners.

i'd recommend 2x4s but 2x3s would be fine.

if i was in your shoes i'd start with the one without the window to get a hang of things.

when framing a wall with a window put in all the studs in execpt the ones that will be infront of it.
at this point you have to decide how you want to trim out the window to properly frame it.
i've put in drywall butting up to the window and i've also used wood(pine) to do a window build out then added casing around it.
this is where it gets a little tricky not seeing the window. if your window frame is thinner then the foundation it makes life easy by attaching wood(pressure treated) around the opening and also leveling it up.
then use a framing square up against the bottom corners of the window jamb to locate where your vertical stud goes.
once vertical studs are in place you a level on each side of the window and mark it to get your height for the horizontal stud.
then do the same to get the location for the upper horiziontal stud for the top of the window.

if any problems just msg me
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
DIY staff

framing basement

Different methods---I find framing on the floor is faster and more accurate for me---
Every craftsman must learn a technique that works best for his or her style of working--

There is more than one 'right' way of doing anything---find the one that works for you---Mike---

mae-ling (05-30-2012)