Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

framing around ductwork


I have ductwork running the length of my basement, right in the middle of the room. I want to sheetrock around the ducts.

My question is how to sheetrock around the ducts with minimal effect to head clearance, as you are walking underneath.

My initial thought would be to install 2x2s parallel to the ductwork and attach the sheetrock directly to the bottom of the 2x2s.

Should the sheetrock touch the ductwork or should I frame the entire duct with 2x2s?

Also, how far apart should the 2x2s be? Maybe place a 2x2 at every perpendicular joist?

jcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Is there some sort of metal framing I could install around the ductwork. Maybe that might be easier. As long as the sheetrock can securely be attached to the metal.

jcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrampton View Post
Is there some sort of metal framing I could install around the ductwork. Maybe that might be easier. As long as the sheetrock can securely be attached to the metal.
Hi,

Yes, you could use steel framing around the ductwork, and then install your sheetrock to it. I would suggest that you get the sheetrock right up under the ductwork - to gain as much headroom as you can....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
mangesh.mmi (08-01-2011)
Old 04-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


is it ok for the sheetrock to touch the ductwork? any condensation concerns or expansion of the duct when running?
jcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrampton View Post
is it ok for the sheetrock to touch the ductwork? any condensation concerns or expansion of the duct when running?
....From what I have found out, this is basically an 'urban myth'.

.... You see, unless you keep your basement at really cold temperatures....you shouldn't have to worry about condensation.

I've consulted about this very point before with my HVAC contractor (25 years in the biz and he is also a certified system design engineer)

It's a concern that alot people comment or ask about...
However, there has to be a difference in the temperature of more than 40 degrees + for condensation to occur.
So, unless you are cooling your home below 60 degrees and your basement temps are above 100.....
Or....your heating your home above 75 and your basement is below 35 degrees...

...You have nothing to worry about. However, to have peace of mind, you can use densarmor sheetrock around the ductwork.

link:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx...4659&hierarchy

Many of the big home improvement stores are now carrying it at a reasonable price....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Member
 
ADKstorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


http://www.diychatroom.com/showthrea...0438#post40438
ADKstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKstorm View Post
I looked up the other thread.....nice pics and illustrations ADK....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


The book How to finish a Basement by Roger German has an excellent description on how to soffit. He uses 2x4 laying flat. I put them 16 on center. Seems pretty sturdy for now. My total width is 48.5 inches. Total lenght is 27 ft. Great book. Highly recommended.
handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Sorry the name of the book is Remodeling a Basement by Roger German. It is published by Taunton. I just built a 25 ft by 49" soffit using his techniques. The only thing I did different was place the 2x4 lookouts 16 on center as opposed to 24 on center like he recommends. I was able to do the soffit with no help. It was a little awkward at times but it is pretty solid.
Attached Thumbnails
framing around ductwork-img_0213.jpg   framing around ductwork-img_0211.jpg  
handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrampton View Post
Is there some sort of metal framing I could install around the ductwork. Maybe that might be easier. As long as the sheetrock can securely be attached to the metal.
You could use metal framing for the entire soffit. Metal studs are pretty easy to work with- just make sure you get the self-tapping sheet metal screws. Yes- you then attach the sheetrock directly to the metal frame. Not sure if it's any easier- the soffit will be much lighter and easier to attach (especially if you're working alone), but the tradeoff is the metal is harder to cut (obviously) than 2x2s or 2x4s.

Just another option, I guess. Good luck!

Roger
_________________________________________________
Visit Finish a Basement: A DIY Remodeling Adventure!
www.finishabasement.com
Webguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Quote:
Originally Posted by Webguy64 View Post
You could use metal framing for the entire soffit. Metal studs are pretty easy to work with- just make sure you get the self-tapping sheet metal screws. Yes- you then attach the sheetrock directly to the metal frame. Not sure if it's any easier- the soffit will be much lighter and easier to attach (especially if you're working alone), but the tradeoff is the metal is harder to cut (obviously) than 2x2s or 2x4s.

Just another option, I guess. Good luck!

Roger
_________________________________________________
Visit Finish a Basement: A DIY Remodeling Adventure!
www.finishabasement.com

Just realize that metal framing is very flexible and is primarily designed to be used with 5/8" sheetrock.
The thicker/stronger/firmer 5/8" SR gives steel framed walls, soffits, etc, their rigidity.

Additionally, the pan head sheetmetal screws that attach steel framing together will cause small lumps in the softer and more flexible 1/2" sheetrock. This is not the case with the firmer 5/8" SR.

BTW - You can just use Tin snips (Aviator snips) to cut steel framing if you do not want to spend the money on a steel cutting saw blade...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Alright, I need help. I havent decided which method to use in framing a wall with my ibeam yet, but how do you frame in a door if i decide to use 2x6's? Also, my height before framing is only 78", do I need to just cut my 80" door to adjust? thanks for any help
newbie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
Duct Cleaning Melbourne
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Default

framing around ductwork


Yes check website also www.kamrk.com.au for duct cleaning and duct repair in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
....From what I have found out, this is basically an 'urban myth'.

.... You see, unless you keep your basement at really cold temperatures....you shouldn't have to worry about condensation.

I've consulted about this very point before with my HVAC contractor (25 years in the biz and he is also a certified system design engineer)

It's a concern that alot people comment or ask about...
However, there has to be a difference in the temperature of more than 40 degrees + for condensation to occur.
So, unless you are cooling your home below 60 degrees and your basement temps are above 100.....
Or....your heating your home above 75 and your basement is below 35 degrees...

...You have nothing to worry about. However, to have peace of mind, you can use densarmor sheetrock around the ductwork.

link:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx...4659&hierarchy

Many of the big home improvement stores are now carrying it at a reasonable price....

mangesh.mmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I find a framing contractor in Rhode Island christy123 Building & Construction 2 10-25-2006 10:29 PM
Framing Gun - Nail Shank Diameter Questions... MoparAutoworks Building & Construction 5 07-03-2006 09:27 PM
Wood Framing Getting Wet? stagger19 Carpentry 2 05-10-2006 08:37 AM
2hp / 6gal Compressor w/ framing nailer scarrell Tools 4 04-24-2006 08:34 AM
Framing a 16 foot high wall for shop pranderson Building & Construction 10 01-01-2006 04:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.