Framing 8-0 X 8-0 Door Opening Smaller? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing 8-0 x 8-0 door opening smaller?

Hello,

I have a 8-0 x 8-0 OX sliding glass door that I am interested in replacing. I have a vision (see photo) of what I want, but was looking for some feedback and suggestions as far as the framing. I want to use a 6-0 x 6-8 french door with separate picture windows on both sides and the top. What is the best method of framing the opening to accommodate the door and windows?

I have installed entry doors before, but have never framed an opening smaller to accommodate a different size door or added windows. The home is stucco construction, built in 97.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Looking for the appearance of sidelights and a transom, but using separate picture windows to keep the costs low.

Advertisement

Last edited by AZLM; 07-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
AZLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Explain more---I see no framing needed in your picture--I see a custom door---

So a little more info please.

Advertisement

AZLM (07-23-2012), BigJim (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Explain more---I see no framing needed in your picture--I see a custom door---

So a little more info please.
Thanks for the reply. That is my goal, to look like a custom door, but actually be an off the shelf french door with 3 custom picture windows. Cost for the Jeld-Wen "Fiberlast" door and 3 tempered picture windows would be about $900. I would then put casing around the doors and windows to make it appear as one unit.

In my head, and again I am no framing expert, this is how it would look:

The red is the existing rough opening for the 8-0 8-0 sliding door, the brown is the new framing. This will create the new rough opening for the door and windows.

Is this realistic?

Thanks again,
Joe

Last edited by AZLM; 07-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

The transom should run over the sidelites. You show the sidelites with the transom between. How are you planning on connecting the units to each other?
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
AZLM (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I am misleading you guys. I understand the normal method would be to buy a French door with sidelights and a transom. This would ultimately be one unit which would fit in my existing RO. This is naturally custom and very expensive.

I am proposing to build framing inside my existing rough opening to house a door and three picture windows. In other words, a total of four new rough openings to house four separate elements…like new construction. Because it is separate elements, I could replace/remove say the French door down the road by simply pulling the casing and not touch the picture windows because they are separate elements.

Does that sound doable?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Got ya!
Totally doable. Consider using a smaller french door. By the time you include even minimal framing, those skinny side windows will be less than 9" wide. What are you going to use for exterior trim between the units?
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
AZLM (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the exterior trim, I am not certain…most homes in Arizona use rough sawn wood as the exterior trim. I will have to check the pricing on a special order 60x80 door vs. the stock 72x80.

So I take it I would pretty much just build the 2x4 framing as if it was a new wall, and just lift it into place? I imagine the new framing would just butt up against the current framing and the bottom footer would be secured to the concrete?

Please feel free to critique my drawing. I have never done framing before, and assumed I would need to double up the framing on the sides/top of door, and double up on the footer.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Really no need to double. You can do a single (1 1/2") framing if you prefer a smaller trim detail. The transom can actually be attached directly to the door. There will not be any framing under the door, but a treated plate run under the windows at the sides would give you something to attach the vertical 2x4's to. I would urge you to at least price out a simple door/transom/sidelite unit just to give you something to compare too. It will just not have the same look no matter how much time/effort you put into it.

Advertisement