Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |

Frame opening in load-bearing wall

I have a home with a flat roof, snow load needs to be included. The roof spans 26' with a load bearing wall down the center of the house. I want to cut a 3' opening in this wall to provide access between dining room and living room. What size header (smallest size) can I use to accomplish this? Foundation/floor construction is pier/beam with 2' x 6' joists running perpendicular to load bearing wall.

joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #2

Ask the local building dept where you are. If it was me, I'd think about replacing the trampoline..ahem...I mean, 2 x 6 floor joists:D ......also.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #3

A 3 ft span is so small that a pair of 2x6's will work but why not splurge and use 2x8's. The more important issue is where the supporting studs rest on the floor structure below.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, thought I would update on how it went. I found that I have a structural engineer that works in our company. I posted question to him with all the load details. He calculated that 2'x6' header would work, but wanted me to use 2'x8' header because he used very conservative numbers. After measuring opening and how far down I wanted it to come, I decided to use 2'x10' header and I wouldn't have to use cripples or any additional framing.

I wanted to use the space above the header to run electrical that ran through the wall I was putting the opening in. I have a crawl space under my house, so I ran a 1/2" conduit under the house and put a 4"x4" box on either side of the new opening. That is how I took care of the electrical. All I have left now is the sheetrock and painting.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
I decided to use 2'x10' header and I wouldn't have to use cripples or any additional framing.

You mean jack studs?:confused: ...leaving them out??:confused: A header is pretty much useless without transferring the load down to the floor and ultimately the foundation.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer

You mean jack studs?:confused: ...leaving them out??:confused: A header is pretty much useless without transferring the load down to the floor and ultimately the foundation.
I think he meant cripples on top of the header. I think the 2x10 gave him the right sized opening without fillers spacers or crips. Hs.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 PM   #7

...gotcha, thought the terminology was off (which happens; even to pros sometimes ), but I see it was just my brain that was off :D :D
Old 11-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Contractor

Don't feel bad jproffer, as I was reading down this thread and I got to his update, I thought the same thing and was gonna post a similar retort. I guess because I hadn't thought of someone trying to change from a 2x8 to a 2x10 to save from using 1 1/2" cripples!!!!! I mean, I personally would just rip a couple of strips of 3/4" ply to make up that difference, and wouldn't even have thought about cripples.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote