Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation Repair Help

Hello,

I kind of have 2 questions but both related to the foundation. We just moved into an older house and it has a stone foundation. Very small basement I guess you could call it a cellar. I'm in the process of raising the middle of the house and noticed that the foundation is in pretty bad shape. I was going to just buy a paint on water sealer when I noticed a lot of the mortar is falling off exposing the rock or it's getting ready to fall off (very brittle). I read somewhere that you can just clean it up real good and re-mortar it. If so, is that pretty easy to do? I have never done this kind of work but I can be pretty handy and enjoy learning new things. Plus I don't really want to pay a truck load of money to have someone do it. Do I just take the mortar and fill in all the holes as best as possible and smooth the outside into a good finish or is it more technical than that? Some of the gaps are maybe 5 inches wide and some kind of deep and just pointy rocks. If you've seen it before I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. About an 1/8th of the foundation is like this. Scattered around the walls.

Second question: I'm going to put down some fill dirt around the outside of the house to ensure proper drainage away from the foundation. On the south side of the house the driveway rides along the house and just barely slopes downward into the foundation. Obviously causing a water problem right there against the foundation. I really don't want to mess with the driveway unless there is no other way. Any suggestions on how to direct water away from the foundation when it's just a slab of concrete?

Thanks in advance and I hope I gave enough info.

rasilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Foundation Repair Help

on question 1 ask a mason/brick block layer in your area for a bid help or advice on 2 a concrete slab can be pumped up depending on the situation

skeeter 152 is offline   Reply With Quote