Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

formica counter back splash

What is the best tool/s to cut the back splash w/o having to remove the counters? We're going green and having granite installed, over the formica. I've always hated the back splash!

Thanks for your time.
kelly

KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

I don't quite get it....hold on it just clicked...You have the manufacture formica tops that have the 4"(round a bout) rounded backsplash.

Cutting them flush with the counter. I have never had to do that, but I do understand. You basically need to cut right in the 90.

With tools I have on hand, I would try:

1: Drill a whole in the 90 with a 1/2" paddle bit, then take a jig saw down it. Would be a clean cut, but I would just want to make sure it was bellow the plan of the counters.Would want a long blade.
2. Score the formica, then take a stab at it with a fein multi tool.

Concreteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Concreteguy For This Useful Post:
KellyK (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
What is the best tool/s to cut the back splash w/o having to remove the counters? We're going green and having granite installed, over the formica. I've always hated the back splash!

Thanks for your time.
kelly

I'm not even going to ask why you want to install granite over the existing counter top's,but i'd remove the counters to take off the backsplash,to save yourself a lot of grief and aggrevation.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some of those stone overlay products look promising but I have never dealt with them. I assume that is what you meant and you are not planning stone slab counters over the existing formica? Please post how your project turns out.

Make sure you put some wide masking tape on the formica surface before trying to cut it. It will help hold it. If there is any separation between it and the substrate it could otherwise get grabbed by whatever cutting tool. A little right angle saw might do the trick but my Fein or similar multi-tool would work eventually.

Seems like you might end up with a rather nasty gap to fill if you cut that coving flush with the countertop? I guess you can compensate with a filler and the new stone overlay? Just make sure the company measures for that difference.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
KellyK (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

Because there is enough waste, in our dumps everywhere! If a company can put granite over existing counter tops, why not and go GREEN!!! We thought it was a cool concept. We heard there were ways to cut the ugly back splash off, but we weren't sure which tool would work best.

Thanks to all that replied.

Happy Father's Day weekend to all you Dad's out there!

kelly
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,110

Never in a million years would I take a job where someone asked me to add it over a formica top.

A few screws under the counter is all that's holding it in place.

I can not think of one single good reason to leave them in place and go over them.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

I guess it all depends on your definition of "going green". Granite slabs come from a quarry and have to be shipped to the supplier (stone yard) and then they are machined smooth and to the desired shape ... So plenty energy used to make each slab and transport it unless you live beside the quarry / stone yard. If your existing counter is in such good condition (which it will need to be) to support a granite slab then why not carefully remove it and donate it to someone else or use it in the garage, for example. Ultimately though ... Installing granite counters on top is a very bad idea for so many reasons. One of which (other than structural integrity) is that now the counter installer needs to create a large lip to overhang your exiting counters to hide the old edge. This means more stone and epoxy filler ... So really the "green" argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Also your counters will now be higher than standard and deeper too ... So all the base cabinets and under counter appliances will be set back more than normal in relation to the new counter edge.

Last edited by Bonzai; 06-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

OP, I just assumed you were thinking of a product like this and not a slab of stone?

http://chicago-granitetransformation...pare-products/

As I mentioned, I have been intrigued by kitchens I have seen with this approach. Usually my projects involved gutting the cabinets anyhow so there were no countertops to rescue. I therefore have no direct client experience with the transformation products.

Last edited by user1007; 06-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

this sounds like a mess of a job and the counter should be completely removed!
just cut it off with a reciprocating saw
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 530

For the time involved in removing that back splash I would pull the countertops.....look into donating them to habitat for humanity or some other local place, put down 3/4 underlayment if needed, and put the solid surface over top.

Maybe as others have suggested you are considering doing the thinner sheets that go over laminate......in this case a reciprocating saw or dremmel tool would be your best bet.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
KellyK (06-17-2012), princelake (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

ya donating would be a good idea. or giving it to someone that needs a counter for their camp or something.
i know some millwork places have a "wood" bin where they get sent to get grinded up to make wood pellets.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #12

Yes, sdsester..... Granite Transformers. It's suppose to be as good as regular Granite counter tops, but not as costly.

Does anybody know of anyone who has done the overlay? How did they like the end results?

Thanks
Kelly
Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As I mentioned, I have seen jobs where this process was used. The results looked great. I spec a really nice recycled glass composite material for countertops often. Same concept but for a full thickness. The thickness of the overlay material itself with the Granite Transformations would be my concern. It is reliant on the existing countertops for support and I would just hope it is thick enough itself to hold up to dropping a pot or cutting on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
Yes, sdsester..... Granite Transformers. It's suppose to be as good as regular Granite counter tops, but not as costly.

Does anybody know of anyone who has done the overlay? How did they like the end results?

Thanks
Kelly

Always remember,you get what you pay for,and i would be very hesitant to put anything hot on a man made product.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #15

sdsester,

We wouldn't be doing any cutting or pot dropping, on the new counters. If we decide to go this transformers route, we'll def. let you know how they turned out!

We hear what you all are saying! We are going to check out other options.

Take care
kelly