Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Food safe granite sealer?

I have searched and seen that there are many granite sealer threads but none so far address my question.

My father just had his counters redone in granite in his kitchen and master bath. He purchased some sealer but upon reading the bottle it says not for use around food, or in food prep areas, or some wording to that affect. He wants to seal his kitchen and bath as an added precaution against staining. Yes, I know nothing is bulletproof.

He's afraid to use what he bought in the kitchen. I've read through threads where product is recommended but none of them talk about being food safe or not, and most of the threads are not specific as to whether they are sealing a kitchen counter or not.

Can someone help clear this up?

thanks

Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
(the original)

If it says don't use on food prep surfaces, then don't use it. It's probably a topical sealer designed for floors. What you need is a food safe penetrating sealer. The only brand name that comes to mind right now is Granite Gold, but there are others available. You might want to do a Google search for "granite countertop sealers", should be plenty of good reading.

Are you sure they haven't already been sealed? Usually, a good installer will seal the granite the first time and leave some info on future care.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #3

Thank you.

No these tops havn't been sealed. MY dad asked him about sealing the tops and his response was ...."Yea.....you could do that if you want to".

Then he went to Lowes and asked for sealer to seal his new kitchen counters, and the guy said here, use this...

He got it home, and it says not for food prep areas.

So, that led me to trying to search the web for info to help him. I found several highly recommended sealers in other threads, but nothing said whether it was or wasn't for food prep areas.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #4

Dry Treat; good stuff. Expensive, but it penetrates very quick, and seals very well.
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #5

If anyone is interested in a follow-up, I found Stonetech Natural Stone Countertop Sealer at a tile store here. It was 30 bucks for a 24oz spray bottle and Iw ent with that per a recommendation on another thread.

It seems to have worked fine and was ok for counters and from the other thread, was highly recommended.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

Bringing back a old thread ....... I've often been a bit concerned about the food prep and the chemical in the bottle thing as well. I was refreshed to see that this granite sealer company was also concerned about chemicals, kids, etc. Granite Sealer

Tommyrocks311 is offline   Reply With Quote