Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Share |

Foam insulation in old walls

Does anyone have any experience with or stories about using foam insulation to fill the empty wall cavities in my 144 year old house? I've found companies that will do the job but I'm not sure if it really works or if it's just a rip off.

bmoss1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
the Musigician

i've seen it done, and yes, it does a great job! imagine a styrofoam cooler...

DM

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Any company that does this sort of work should include before and after thermal scans so you know they filled all the cavities. Otherwise it's a crap shoot on what areas were done and what were missed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
the Musigician

good point ron!

DM
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #5

I used TigerFoam to insulate the attic in our church's parsonage. Building dates from 1930's I think. Never been touched, insulation-wise. Drilled holes 18" apart in the pine floor and shot in slow rise foam. It took a while to do, but the result was a dramatic drop in heat loss. The walls and windows have yet to be done, but we've already seen a difference in the building. The occupants have turned off the (steam) radiators on the second floor because the building was overheating in 20F weather. We'll see how the fuel bills go for this year vs last year.

I almost bought a house that was of the same vintage and had in mind to do the same thing to it, including walls, etc. I agree that the thermal scan before/after is a great idea, otherwise you're not sure you've hit all the pockets in the framing. Diagonal members were often "let into" the vertical members for stiffening the framing and that can play havoc with hitting all the little holes it creates.

The good news is that the foam can go in through a 5/8" hole that is easily patched or covered with crown molding or chair rail.

Do NOT use the fast rise foam in a contained space, you'll blow the plaster off the wall. Use the slow rise and have fun!

If anyone wants a LOT of nozzles for TigerFoam, email me. I wasn't sure how many I'd need and bought a couple dozen extra. They were totally unnecessary, what came with the kit were MORE than enough for my application.

Doug
DougDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote