Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to patrick.schantz Send a message via Yahoo to patrick.schantz
Unhappy

flooring rot and problems

yes im new here i just bought a house that is an old miners house
in west deer PA
the floors seem to slope into the walls at some spots ... the back half of the house seems to be an old addition.. and it seems to have sunk because that whole end of the house is droped from the other side...
their is water damage in the bathroom and laundry room were i have to remove the subfloor.... and as i did so the joist under it are all rotted and week... than i notices the sill plate is crushed in spots... any ideas how i could replace the sill plates around the house and replace the floor joists... and how can i replace the sub flooring from under the walls or do i have to add on to the joists to make an edge to nail the new flooring to ... in famly room were floor seems to be sinking it seems to be because of the crushed sill plate.. does this make sence?

thanks sorry for the book
patrick and jenn

patrick.schantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing a rotted sill plate is quite a job for a DIYer, but can be done if you're a talented carpenter. Based on your question, I think it might be a good idea for you to hire a professional carpenter. Simply put, the floor system must be jacked upward...Which equates to raising the entire sunken portion of the floor/house, and temporarily supporting it while the work occurs. Once it is at the right level, the old sill plate is removed and a new one is installed. Rotten joists can also be replaced at this time.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to patrick.schantz Send a message via Yahoo to patrick.schantz

i am a very skilled do it yourselfer i have a degree in carpentry and construction i like to see what others ideas and opinions are on these projects...... thanks for your input
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #4

Question

We are looking for houses right now and I have a couple of questions about your experience.
Would you have purchased the house if you had known the extent of the damage?
Can the damage be replaced so that it doesn't cause problems for years to come?
Most of the houses we look at have damaged foundations (sagging and sinking into the ground) and/or rotten floor beams. It is so frustrating and I just wonder if everything can be fixed well enough to make me feel comfortable in the new house.
ChrisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I just went through this a few months ago on my own home. I had termite damage in one sill and dry rot. It hadn't crushed but I was obviously concerned that it would even with the termites gone. Pretty hollowed out.

KC has it right. Get yourself in touch with a Pro. Someone that has tackled this sort of thing in the past and knows what they are doing.

I consider myself an accomplished carpenter and do restoration work for a living. Replacing this sill was beyond my area of expertise and I wasn't about to be agressive and try it. As it turned out I struck a deal with the guy I hired and was his helper for the project. We worked together and I learned a lot. I will say that after replacing this 26' 10X10 timber along one wall I would not attempt it myself. The home, an 1898 2 story had new windows and plaster before we started. He accomplished the repair without any damage to any of the work that had been done to the home. It's been a few months now and everything is still intact.

We managed to brace the existing wall with roughly 50 support columns in the basement, slowly removed portions of the damaged sill and then muscled in the replacement. Took 2 weeks.

Even with my new-found experience I would not attempt this on my own. There's just to many structual issues that I am not familiar with.

Richard
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #6

well i did the job on the house we fisrt started out qwith a temp beam under the joists and we found that the rotted ones than we moved to installing new floor joist removing the rotted and week.. after we installed all floor joistswe then went to replace the beem we used 2 x 10s with ply in between..after we instaled the new beem we took 2 back to back 2 x 6 as temp beams under the new floor joists with jacks to jack up the joists and the walls of the house to attempt to replace the rotted and sunken sill plate
we had to raise the house up 6 inch and remove the outside bottom 2 strips of siding to get acces to the sill and make it easier to install the new..

now even after all of this was replaced we cleaned up shop and layed down some subflooring..
and well the floors were still a lil sloaped .. but thats what happends when your foundation sinks.....
its not so i bad i cant live with it ,... but the floor feels good as new and i dont have to worry ....

if your house hunting and dont want a alot of work to do than i wouldnt buy the house with floor problems because it always leads to more work ..
when we bought it i wouldnt have done the deal if i new the total extent of the damage...
but keeps me alive doing the work

my company name is Schantz home improvments and services..
and thats just another job to me

patrick