Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

Floor joist support

My house floor is sagging a little. It is a very small house and has a less than half basement and a room upstairs that would normally be a attic.

It is sagging were the house has a center wall that runs length ways of it were their is a doorway.

It is more or less the center of the house. That point is less than 4 feet from the basement wall that divides basement from 4 foot crawl space. Floor joist run length ways of house and the joist that the wall is on is right over the edge of the heat ducts. It is a very bessie spot.

Floor joist are oak 2x8 on 16 center15feet long. Would it be good to put a post under this spot and catch more than one joist with it?

Last edited by oh'mike; 11-07-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added spaces
Mo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
DIY staff

Floor joist support

You need to get us a picture---it sounds like that air duct is going to cause trouble getting an even lift on the sagging center of the house----need to see exactly what needs lifting----Mike----

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Floor joist support

I dont know if i can get a picture of it but their is a 3inch gap from joist to duct i was thinking of puting some kind of steel aginst it runing under 3 joist and puting a post on each side. I am not good with computors and have dial up it takes about 20 minutes to get a picture down loaded or i would do it. I will take a picture tonight and try.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
DIY staff

Floor joist support

3 inches is not much-- but might be enough ----you said this was a single story house---so the weight should not be to great----still---three inch steel is not very big---
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Floor joist support

I had to do that once to get something to support some floor joists that a plumber had taken a sawsall to. didn't have much room because of the location of the plumbing pipes. I used a 4"x4" square steel tube with two columns for support. of course the span was only something like 4'.

If it don't work could drop back and punt ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

Floor joist support

Will their be much movement because of it being diffrent than basement walls. My crawl space walls are same as basement.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
DIY staff

Floor joist support

There should be no movement if installed correctly
Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Floor joist support

If it wasnt for the duct work i would put another 2x8 beside it. I will find some kind of steel to go under it and go from their. Thanks to every one for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mo Guy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-08-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Floor joist support

I found a 3x6 heavy wall tubeing to use but i started looking at my problem. The wall is seating between the floor joists and some one has over cut the floor for the return air duct. So the floor that is under one side of the door opening is not joined to the floor joist on one side.To top this of thier is a duct pipe runing between joist right their. I didnt want to rebuild the ducts but i may need to.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Floor joist support

my house, the 2 main BR walls are set in between floor joists. you just got to wonder what they were thinking. and one floor joist, well, swiss cheese would be jealous.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Floor joist support

My house looks like 2 diffrent guys built it. One built the floors and every thing down and the other built every thing above. My house is old and my dad lived close to it and thought it had been move their. I have tryed to find out if it was moved their but have not been able to yet. I have never saw a basment like it has before and the rim boards look like they were recycled from something else.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #12

Floor joist support

you gotta post pics of that.

sometimes i think my house was built by a bunch of drunk irishmen. (i'm part irish, and sometimes drunk )

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote