Fixing An Old Garage Conversion... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing an old garage conversion...

The previous owners of our 1950's ranch converted the carport to a single car garage and then later to a room with sleepers and plywood on the floor, adding pink insulation and drywall to the exterior 2x4 walls, and leaving original lap siding on house wall. We want to give the room a more finished look. 1) Can we hang drywall w/ longer screws over existing lap siding (encasing lead paint siding)? 2) How to deal with 2 inches of stem wall/mudsill still exposed? If we take out old drywall we still have to add furring to studs to get a flush wall, so we were hoping to skip that step. Can we add furring over old drywall and put up new drywall? If so, what about adding extra insuation into the new space we create with furring strips? any concerns about moisture with sandwiched drywall and insulation? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by momof2cutekids; 10-23-2010 at 11:55 AM.
momof2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Fixing an old garage conversion...

I'd work with the local Building Department on this. Was the previous conversion done with a permit? Was the space listed as a carport or living space?

Gary

Advertisement