Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #1

Share |

Fixing a bow in drywall

I am near completion of a bathroom revovation. After taking down a large mirror and refinishing the wall and painting, I installed the new vanity top and backsplash. The first thing I noticed is that the backsplash does not sit flush with the wall. It is 61" long and there is a section of the wall that is bowed.

Normally I would write this off and just fill it with caulk, however the gap between the bowed wall and backsplash reaches almost 1/2". If I fill with caulk, I think it will be quite noticeable since the backsplash is black and the wall is a blue/grey color.

I probably should break out the joint compound and restore the wall shape back to flat. However I wanted to see if there were any tricks of the trade or other methods to fix such problem.

Is there any way to "pull" the wall out to reduce the gap between the backsplash?

The backsplash is one piece and will be adhered to the wall. It appears this bow is between two studs. The bow is not noticeable to the eye, until the flat backsplash is put in place.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your comments.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #2

Fixing a bow in drywall

I found a way to at least reduce the gap and make the joint between backsplash and wall more uniform for appearance sakes. I drilled a few holes in teh drywall thinking I could find a way to "pull" the drywall out reducing the bow. I quickly figured out the point where the bow was the deepest was near a stud. I assumed the stud could have been not true and the cause of the bow.

Since the wall would be covered by the backsplash, I cut some drywall away...enough for me to get some wood shims behind the drwall and forced them between the inside of the drywall and stud. I was able to force them in to cause the drywall to push outwards just enough.

It was risky because I heard some ripping sounds, which I assume was the drwyall behind ripped over the nearest screw. Regardless the gap is near uniform and I can now glue the backsplash in place and caulk the seams as normal. The wall seems to be in tact and there is no cracks or ill effects from this.

It is a great feeling when things like this work out. I have however been on the other side of the coin when a little effort to make something better causes 10x the work.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

Fixing a bow in drywall

Glad it worked out for ya!
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote