First Major Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

First Major Remodel

Hello all,

Ive been lurking around here for a long time now, haven't posted much. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the info that you have given me on this site.

Here is the story, My house was built in the 1960's. there are two fulls baths. one right above each other. When I bought my house a year ago, I knew that I would be getting into redoing this bathroom. I want to completely gut it and start fresh. But I have a few problems.

1st Problem- There is a window in the shower, the shower is tile now and is worked around the window. I would like to put an insert in the bathroom and Im debating on either doing glass block, or just taking the Trim off the window and placing the insert in. What do you think?

2nd Problem- There is no ventalation in there now, the guy who owned in before me, put in a drop ceiling, so now all the moisture just goes right up into the attic. (not good!) I think im going to have to cut a whole in the roof and run a vent fan, what do you think? I need to get rid of the mositure.

Here is my plan. I am going to take a week of work, so Ill have a full week to get the major stuff done.

Day 1-2: DEMO : Remove the Tub, the toilet, and the sink. Start ripping out drywall and get it to the studs.

Day 3: Clean up and insulate. I want to get everything cleaned up, insulated and make sure the floor is ok, and does not need replaced. Then I am going to insulate and put up the vapor barrier.

Day 4: Start Drywalling and double check plumbing. I want to hang the greenboard and make sure all the plumbing will work with the new stuff.

Day 5: Install Fixtures. Install Shower, Tub and Sink, Mud Drywall

Day 6: Start Finishing: Sand Drywall and Paint.

Day 7: Flooring

Day 8: Lots of Beer!

What Would you change? this is my first remodel so any input in much appreciated.

Advertisement

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

First Major Remodel

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
First Major Remodel-img00063-20110403-1700.jpg   First Major Remodel-img00064-20110403-1702.jpg   First Major Remodel-img00065-20110403-1702.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

First Major Remodel

JOB
#1--Demo to the studs

#2 Mechanical--New plumbing--tub mixer valve---Electrical---fan and duct--light--Gfci outlet--

#3 new tub or shower pan

#4 New studs in bath and blocking for grab rails.

#5 insulation

#6 Durrock tub walls---Drywall the rest---tape and sand---prime--touch up drywall-prime touch ups.
Paint ceilings and first coat walls.

#7 durrock floors

#8--Tile walls and floor

#9---Add vanity---add trim and doors

#10---Final paint----finish trim--towel bars,tub spout--chrome trims and shower head--mirror.

Done-----A pro --with a highly trained assistant would be pleased to finish that job in a week and a half.
Two weeks if delays occur.(like adding a new window)-----Mike------

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

First Major Remodel

Thanks Mike,

My Plan was doing it myself with one helper each day. I thought I would be able to knock it out in a week. Guess not.... I want to do it right. I like the durrock idea. just some extra protection.

I am debating on tile and laminate for the flooring. I'm assuming I would want to do the laminate before I put the toilet down and vanity down right? But tile I would want to do that later correct?

I didn't factor in dry time between projects either. Give stuff time to set up correctly.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
DIY staff

First Major Remodel

I have a tendency to think faster than I work--

I build a lot of bathrooms---it's what I do. So I've got the timing down,based on my style of working----

a simple job with a tub surround and quick non-tiled floor might be done in 7 days--you still have 3 days for drywall hang /tape/paint

one for demo--another for mechanical(if you are very efficient)

One week will be a push---Is this a one bath house?---Mike---
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

First Major Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I have a tendency to think faster than I work--

I build a lot of bathrooms---it's what I do. So I've got the timing down,based on my style of working----

a simple job with a tub surround and quick non-tiled floor might be done in 7 days--you still have 3 days for drywall hang /tape/paint

one for demo--another for mechanical(if you are very efficient)

One week will be a push---Is this a one bath house?---Mike---
ha

Glad to know that you know your stuff, I'm gonna need your help!

What kind of Tub would you recommend? I would love to get a single piece in, but it wont fit, so Im gonna stick with a 3 peice. I was looking at the Kohler Sterling, I've heard good things about them.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

First Major Remodel

Mikey - my first bathroom remodel (kept the floors in) took like 2 1/2 months (not to scare you).. but I was only working like Saturday and half Sundays..
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #8

First Major Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDIY View Post
Mikey - my first bathroom remodel (kept the floors in) took like 2 1/2 months (not to scare you).. but I was only working like Saturday and half Sundays..
Wow! 2 months, Does it look good? Thats all the matters.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
DIY staff

First Major Remodel

I install mainly Kohler cast iron---Villager and Mendota---Mike---
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

First Major Remodel

Thanks Mike, as soon as my garage is done, im going to go about ordering stuff.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,054

First Major Remodel

Don't do "Laminate" on the floor of a bathroom.
RF
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

First Major Remodel

why not? seems like it would be water resitant that Tile. It doesnt look as good as tile either...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

First Major Remodel

I think you are very ambitious to think this is a one week job. If you haven't done this type of remodel, I would plan to take your time on it. If you are staying in the house for many years or want to re-sell it in a few years, I would tell you to take more time or plan for it. If the window opening interferes with the shower unit you are installing, I would re-size the window framing to go only above the shower unit and use glass block only. Any window that opens in the shower or tub area could become a problem in the future depending how you keep the water off of it. I would run a smooth pipe,pvc, sheet metal or something similar from your new exhaust vent out to the overhang of your roof and vent it there or directly up through the roof, but this will require more more and flashing issues. Get the largest cfm vent you can to get the moisture out as fast as possible. I have been to many Green Build and Home Improvement shows or seminars and I am learning a lot about moisture control or exhaust. I would be careful about using vapor barrier in this remodel. You may actually cause mold problems in your walls or house that will cost you a lot more in the future. I would go with greenboard for your drywall, standard wall insulation that meets code, and make sure to add extra wall bracing for your desired fixtures, so you can screw all accessories to the wood as opposed to trying to use drywall fasteners. Go slow on this project, especially if you have another shower in the house to use. Get a drawing or layout from your local products dealer and really plan what you want it to look like when you are done. I have worked with plumbers, electricians and general remodelers for many years. You will run into some problems, hopefully small ones and you need to be patient while working through them. Don't cut out something because you want to save time or a little money, do it the right way and get a keg because you'll need more than a few beers if this is your first re-model. Plan for 2-3 weeks of here and there work, this way you stay fresh and don't get to frustrated over certain parts of this remodel. Best of luck!
Jblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jblood For This Useful Post:
tpolk (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

First Major Remodel

After looking at your heat vent near floor by the door, if you plan to put in a vanity, you will need to re-work the vent to come out of the bottom of the vanity kick plate area or have it move to another wall. This bathroom is exactly the same layout as my last home. The window is small, if you really want the natural light, put in a block window system that is above the show unit or scrape the window entirely. If the window doesn't open and close properly now, you have some form of water damage and swelling. Be prepaired for more time on this. Good luck, again after I saw some of your pictures.
Jblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

First Major Remodel

will take a week just for drywall and paint

Advertisement