Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Share |

First bathroom remodel, need some assistance...

This will be my first "major" bathroom remodel project. I am replacing the tile around the tub & replacing it with a different updated tile color. Once this tub job is complete, I plan on tearing out the plastic wall shower & replacing it with tile up the walls & a new glass door (which I am sure I will need a lot of help along the way with this job!). The one upside to all of this is that I have done numerous diy tile floors throughout my house, so I have a good experience with laying tile. I joined the site for assistance in helping me get through these projects & answering questions on things I have no idea about. Please be patient with me since I am just a diy'er & my lack of knowledge & terminology.

Here is a pic of the areas that I am going to be working on...

Here is what I am left with after the old tile tear-out this morning...

The questions I have at this point are....
1. How do I take the bathtub water spout off? (I will be replacing the fixtures)
2. Do I have to replace the old sheet rock with new? I gurred it up in a few places during the tear-out, but overall it is still in good condition?
3. Do I use some sort of water barrier before installing tile around the tub? If so, what kind?
4. Any other helpful pointers are greatly appreciated.

THANKS

7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

The Spout---look under the spout near the tile---if there is an opening--see if there is a screw--if so you need an Allen wrench to loosen that screw and the spout will pull right off the pipe--

If no hole and screw? Then that one is screwed on---treat it like a big light bulb and unscrew it--

To tile it ----you need to remove the old drywall up about 6 feet---then ,after repairing an out of flat 2x4s and replacing the tub mixer--you will want to add tile backer board---

Drywall of any kind should not be used in a wet area---

Paint on waterproofing might be a good idea also---

That tub looks like a deck mount---without a water shedding wall flange---if so---no shower head for you---unless you change the tub----let us know if I am right.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
DIY staff

Duh--I just noticed there is a separate shower---you could leave the drywall---except for the area right above the tub--perhaps 32 or 36 inches up--there use the cement backer board.

I also noticed that is a delta mixing valve---if you have trouble getting the spout off,come back---Newer Deltas are a bit different---