Fireplace Surround Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Fireplace surround remodel

Hi All,

We have decided to update our fireplace which is looking a bit outdated - see the first picture. I would like to add a stone veneer surround and a wooden mantelpiece, pretty much exactly like in the second picture. I will be stripping the wall back to the studs so I can frame in a recess for the TV and mount, and I would also like to add a niche where I can store the cable tv box, DVD player etc (the proposed opening is outlined in yellow in the picture).

I would like to recenter the fireplace and tv on the wall, so this will mean adding a dogleg to the fireplace flue. Are there code issues related to this?

Also, the electronics niche I am adding will be in the same volume as the fireplace and flue. Are there code requirements that say I can't do this?

Also, does anyone have any input on the best way to attach the mantelpiece, and how to interface it to the stone veneer?

Finally, does anyone have any input on the best way to work the interface where the stone veneer ends and the TV starts (I don't like the picture frame in the second picture...)?

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace surround remodel-current.jpg   Fireplace surround remodel-desired.jpg  

Advertisement

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote