Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

Fireplace remodel

So, I searched other posts and can't seem to find what I need... I'm gearing up to remodel my fireplace. It's going to be dry stack stone veneer floor to ceiling. I've got the nuts and bolts of that pretty much figured out, except for one thing: Mounting the mantel. The stone is of varying depth, so I don't think mounting it to the finished stone is a good option, although I could be wrong. So, do I mount it to the scratch coat and add stone around it (the stone is only about 2-2.5 inches deep)? Attach it straight to the cement board backer, then add lath, scratch coat and stone around that? My person vote is after the lath and scratch coat, but I'd really like some input. Thanks in advance for any help!!

cfurball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Jack of all trades

Send a message via Yahoo to danrb007

Fireplace remodel

I like the idea of stoning around it. you could also mount some steel to the wall behind and have it stick out to mount the mantel to then make a template out of cardboard to cut the back side of the mantel to match the stone.

danrb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #3

Fireplace remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurball View Post
So, I searched other posts and can't seem to find what I need... I'm gearing up to remodel my fireplace. It's going to be dry stack stone veneer floor to ceiling. I've got the nuts and bolts of that pretty much figured out, except for one thing: Mounting the mantel. The stone is of varying depth, so I don't think mounting it to the finished stone is a good option, although I could be wrong. So, do I mount it to the scratch coat and add stone around it (the stone is only about 2-2.5 inches deep)? Attach it straight to the cement board backer, then add lath, scratch coat and stone around that? My person vote is after the lath and scratch coat, but I'd really like some input. Thanks in advance for any help!!
The simplest method would be to attach it to cleats mounted to the wall and stone around it. You want it mounted to an even surface, not a scratch coat bumpy surface.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Fireplace remodel

Ron, as usual, is exactly right. Mount it directly to the studs, or drywall. Cut the lath/Durock around it. If you're concerned about loosing the 2-2.5" of depth to the finished stone, you can add rough construction lumber behind the mantel to pad it out.

Make sure the mantel is finished BEFORE you install the stone. Get it stained and varnished before hand, because moisture from any mortar in contact with it will wick into the wood & create future finish problems.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote