Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Fire Restoration

I have a duplex only one room was burnt bad but the whole 2nd floor has smoke damage and half the first floor has water damage.
It was insured for 35K and is a total loss.
I want to weigh my DIY repair options before I trade the house for a beer to get rid of it.

I was planning on removing all ceiling tiles(suspended ceilings over lathe and plaster), removing wet debris and damaged drywall, and spraying everything with shellac based primer (Zinser BIN)

Is there anything else i should do for the smoke?

What should I do for water damage? Ventilate? Ventilation+bleach?
Are there better mold prevention/drying out methods?

Pleas do not suggest professionals. This is DIY site and the house is worth less than a professional restoration.

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022

Fire Restoration

first thing I would do is bring in a professional engineer to evaluate the structure for damage from fire and water and determine if it is worth trying to salvage. You can spend time and money putting some lipstick and mascara on it and find out you need lots of structural repairs. Remember just because its standing right now doesn't mean it meets the requirements.

probably would need an evaluation from the building department anyway, would in my area. Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

Fire Restoration

Should have mentioned that: very minor scorching on a small amount of roof rafters. Easy to repair by sistering in new boards.No other structural damage. The actual fire damage is almost nothing. It's all water and smoke damage.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

Fire Restoration

so my guess is that the property was only valued at 35k and a restoration companies bill for fixing it will be more then that?
how long ago did this happen? it takes 72hrs for mold to start growing.
yes the shellac based zinser is what you should use to spray all the smoke damaged walls.
smoke gets everywhere. you'll have to use some type of smoke encapsulate in all areas like plugs and electrical.
if the place has been sitting for a while then yes mold will start to grow and if you have lots then you'll have to do mold removal containing the area using air scrubbers for the mold spores and removed all the moldy drywall.
you'll need to get air quality tests. once passed then you can start reinsulating and drywalling it.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fire Restoration

In deciding whether to try and restore this I would check with the planning folks to see exactly what they are going to want from you to clear it for occupancy again. And whether you can do the work yourself. See what special permits and inspections are in your future.

It may be that the house had many "grandfathered" things that will no longer fly if you restore it. It may not be as simple as just restoring it to what it was before the fire.

Last edited by user1007; 04-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote