Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Jon

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Fire rated walls

I recently purchased a 3 family house in NY state, (not NYC) and I don't know if each appartment has the appropriate fire rating seperating them and wanted to know what materials are valid. It appears there are some walls with gypsum on one side and plaster and lath on the other. It appears there is one ceiling with plaster seperating two different dwelling units and most ceilings have gypsum but I'm not sure how much.

Am I required to upgrade fire ratings or can I wait until there is a reason to remodel?
The building also has one bedroom in the attic and it's contained over it's own dwelling unit but the seperation between the bed room and the remaining attic is only 1/2" gyp. What, if anything would you recommend I do to get the proper fire protection ratings.

This house is about 1500ft2 / floor and the first floor as one unit, and the second floor has two units.
Thanks for any advise.

chek77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fire rated walls

Check with fire Marshall and local building department as to whether or not you are required to do anything. Or make it right because you care about not hurting innocent tenants. To make it fire rated you need a minimum of 5/8" drywall. All penetrations through the wall plates or bases must be sealed with fire rated caulking available at plumbing or electrical supply houses. a fire wall must be used to seal the attic space between units.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Fire rated walls

Unless you plan to do some type of renovation, there would be no reason for you to have to upgrade any fire rating on walls in an existing structure. The only time I've seen it required is if a mortgage lender wants it, or if the loan is backed by a government agency. Separations between dwelling units may require updating if you renovate. And the rating MAY require 5/8" gypsum and a whole lot more in the way of details (depending on where in the structure the fire barrier is located). Any modification involving a fire separation in a multi-family residence would likely require a permit.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Jon

Rewards Points: 10

Fire rated walls

Thank you for the response. While I didn't involve a bank for financing, I'm sure when I sell, it could be an issue. If I do renovations, I will plan accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Unless you plan to do some type of renovation, there would be no reason for you to have to upgrade any fire rating on walls in an existing structure. The only time I've seen it required is if a mortgage lender wants it, or if the loan is backed by a government agency. Separations between dwelling units may require updating if you renovate. And the rating MAY require 5/8" gypsum and a whole lot more in the way of details (depending on where in the structure the fire barrier is located). Any modification involving a fire separation in a multi-family residence would likely require a permit.
chek77 is offline   Reply With Quote