Finishing Interior Of Storage Building - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

Old 10-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 2

Finishing Interior of Storage Building

Hello, I have decided to finish the interior space of my 16X12 storage building and I have some general questions and was hoping I could get some advice and input to put me in the right direction.

The building is a barn-style storage shed with 8 foot tall walls. It does have electrical run to it from the house. I put some plywood above the joists for an attic-type storage area and would like to keep that. It also has large barn doors. My goal is to make the room a "man-cave" type area with couch, tv, stereo, small fridge, etc. I want it to be pretty nice, so I am trying to do as much research as possible before I get started.

I would like to do a lot of the work myself, but will possibly be contracting some things out if I feel I cannot do it. My biggest questions right now are regarding the order I need to do things:

I am planning on adding insulation, sheetrock, wiring (re-routing/adding electrical, speaker wire, data), lighting (possibly recessed), flooring (laminate or tile), and I am looking into a mini-split AC unit to keep it climate controlled. I would also like to remove the double barn doors and either replace with a single door, or some type of French doors that could be opened to the outside to tie the room in with the outdoors while entertaining.

With the things said above, where should I start with this project? Once I have a rough idea of where to start, I plan on going to different sections of the forums to get into further detail about the specific project I am working on. Also, any other ideas I may have not thought about are always welcome, and any tips or tricks I could use while I am in the "planning" stage of this.

reaganreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
Rewards Points: 1,982

Sounds more like a dog house. Don't make it too comfortable.
Sheds are not built to resist weather, just to keep rain off. They are also on the ground level. You can't close these off without having moisture/other problems.

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Rewards Points: 6,708

Reframing first.
Wiring, plumbing if any next.
Sheetrock, prime and paint two coats. (if you prime and paint before the trims installed there's no cutting in to do around the windows and doors, just the wall to ceiling)
Trim windows and doors.
Then the flooring.
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote