Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |

finishing basement walls

I've just installed insulpink around the interior of my basement. My question is what to finish the walls with ? I don't want to use drywall. I live on a hill and always have a very dry basement. I was wondering if a "floating" type flooring product would be a good option on the walls ?? I can glue it to the ridged foam and nail every two feet into the furring strips, any suggestion ??? Thanks
TJD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

finishing basement walls

Can I ask why you don't want to drywall? You can also look at paneling and staple it to the strips.

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

finishing basement walls

I want more of a wood look and the flooring can be purchased prefinished. I don't need a thick flooring so that's why I was leaning toward the floating snap together type,(don't need the durability on the wall application). I just don't want to mess with dry wall and taping, painting ect. I'm just wondering what problems might arise since I've never done this or seen it in person??? Also the furring runs vertical so the flooring would be glued and nailed horizontally.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

finishing basement walls

I guess it is possible...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...NJCy0AGvi4GIDg

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #5

finishing basement walls

Are you going to put it on the ceiling also, so you can be Lionel Ritchie "Dancing on the Ceiling"?

Seriously. Man up and rock the walls. You can hang beer signs if you want to "man cave" it.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

finishing basement walls

Your best bet if you do truly not want drywall would be wood paneling. A "wood wall" install would be messier, much more expensive, and more difficult than drywall IMO.

I think most people are curious as to why the distaste for drywall? It is fairly simplistic to put up, and just takes a little more time than wood paneling. It is also a very good skill to have. There are a lot of people on here that spent a lot of time and effort to take down and rip out what you are trying to put up.

I know how it is when you post and people don't give you answers but just ask more questions, so hopefully this helps, but definitely at least entertain the drywall! I think you will be much happier with your efforts in the long run.

South Jersey - Camden County

Last edited by tjbingha; 01-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
I can tie my own shoes

finishing basement walls

Insulpink looks to be a foam material so you will need to use a proper ignition/fire barrier over it. Drywall provides this, wood paneling does not. If you have a fire and the foam catches, it can release toxic gases. If you are already out of the house then great. If you are not, your chances are lessened due to the burning foam board. I vote for drywall. This would be a good time to contact local code people as well. My guess is that the foam says that it must be covered with a proper ignition barrier as well.
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Estimator & Draftsmen

finishing basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by algored2deth View Post
Insulpink looks to be a foam material so you will need to use a proper ignition/fire barrier over it. Drywall provides this, wood paneling does not. If you have a fire and the foam catches, it can release toxic gases. If you are already out of the house then great. If you are not, your chances are lessened due to the burning foam board. I vote for drywall. This would be a good time to contact local code people as well. My guess is that the foam says that it must be covered with a proper ignition barrier as well.
Agree.. for our area, any foam product MUST be covered by an barrier that has a 30min rating for example, drywall or cement board. Check your local building codes. Also, a lot of those thin panel products do not have a 30min rating.
CanAmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

finishing basement walls

I hear ya, I just like the look of a slightly darker wood on the top half of the wall. I was thinking of getting some ledger style stone for the bottom half. I'm just trying to get some ideas that are a little different than all the others I've seen. I just find the sheetrock walls to be a little boring.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #10

finishing basement walls

try finding a old barn that you will offer to tear down for material and use reclaimed barn siding or just buy it you could also use a wood siding of some kind and wax or stain it to color you like
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote