Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Finishing Basement Advice Needed

I am planning on finishing my basement to make it a dog-friendly room and save the wear and tear from the rest of the house. I have pre-insulated and studded Superior Walls throughout the basement. Below are the items I wanted suggestions on:

Carpet for Concrete Floor - Should look decent and be as sturdy and dog-proof as possible.

Drywall - Should I add more insulation before putting the drywall up?

Ceiling - I am going to put a wood-burning stove in and don't want to insulate the ceiling since I'd like to use the stove to heat the first floor. But I would like to make he ceiling look nicer and possibly sound insulate it also. Is there a paint or spray that will do that?
Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Experienced

Hello and welcome Nazgul, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

As for insulation on the wall you might want to look at the attached.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

As for wood stove providing heat when in use, you should think about ducting the RA from your furnace to a location near the stove so you can capture the heat and supply it to the rest of the house.

For the ceiling, up to you, sound insulate with Rockwool and either drop ceiling or drywall.

As for the dog, training is always the best option, building a special room just tell the animal its ok to misbehave.

Mark
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the link I started look at it and it's very informative. I want the dogs in the basement since the entire house has hardwood and tile and the dogs are slowly but surely damaging and making a mess everywhere. It'll just be easier to have them in a nice area that they can play and be easier to maintain, I have a bilco door going outside from the basement and like 2 acres of fenced in yard hey can also run around in.

As for the ceiling since I'd hope for the stove to radiate heat upwards, so I didn't think insulting the ceiling would be a great idea. Is that an incorrect assumption? I was more hoping to spray or paint the ceiling with something that doesn't block the heat, insulates against noise and also looks decent. I've seen ceilings that have stuff coating them that kinda look like the liners of pickup beds, is there anything like that around?
Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Experienced

Well if you insulate for sound, by the nature of insulation you are also insulating for heat.

Ducting the return air of the furnace to the area of the wood stove would be more proficient at heat distribution.

Mark